Saturday, December 5, 2020

More Long Journeys (aka Wally World)

 Friday Beer Run Route Tracking 

 I always enjoy finding a "useful excuse" for taking a trike ride, and yesterday I decided I needed to restock on DRB (Diet Root Beer - for the uninitiated).
Now, there are at least 2 grocery stores selling such stuff almost next door:  The closest being like 3 blocks away.  But that less-than-a-mile distance would not even get the blood circulating much more than lounging in my chair at home. 
So, of course, I go to the furthest one within the city limits.  
Following such logic, I could also ride to any of the stores in Cabool, only 8 miles east of us, and gain a few more miles.  Whatever.
As I was parking the trike at the Big Box Store, latching the locking cable, etc, a couple of old-timers (almost as old as I) approached me apologetically and wanted to "ask a few questions".
Always happy to proselytize for Jesus and Recumbent Trikes, I was happy to oblige.
They of course were curious about the trike, how comfortable it might be compared to upright bikes/trikes, what the trailer was for, and....... How Far had I ever ridden on it ??
It took me a moment or two trying to remember, and finally I told them "Well, I rode it 50 miles on my 50th birthday, but that was over 20 years ago !!"
They talked between themselves, wondering if either of them could possibly ride such a contraption.  I offered to unhitch the trailer and let them take it for a spin around the block, but they both agreed they didn't think they'd better, with knee problems etc.
Then, of course, when  I got home and told the tale to Jacque, she reminded me I had actually ridden 70 miles for my 70th birthday.  Such is my sagging memory nowadays:  Not only do I fail to remember a lot of things, the things I DO remember either didn't happen or at least not the way I think I remember.
Looking back in my cycling blog, I
finally found entries detailing such long distance feats:
- In May 2017, I did a 70 - mile ride in NM for my 70th birthday, and
- In May 2018, I did a 72+ mile ride in Ohio while RVing for to celebrate my 71st birthday.
Somehow I have fallen off that wagon and haven't evidently even thought about doing similar rides for each subsequent birthday.  I turn 74 in May 2021 - I'll think about it.  We'll see.  All I gotta do is live that long in today's super-crazy world.
I might collapse and croak on such a trip but there are worse ways to depart this world...

Ride Started: 2:39 PM           Ride Ended: 3:54 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage: 12.8 Ending Battery Voltage:  12.8
Lowest Temp: 51 F Highest Temp: 61 F
Beginning Blood Glucose: 67    Ending BG: 103 (Obviously Ate some Snacks)
Stats from the GPS: Total Miles: 5.26
Overall Average Speed      Moving Avg       Max Speed
 4.5 MPH                              6.8 MPH            24.2 MPH
Total Trip Time                    Moving Time      Stopped Time
 1 hour 10  mins                    46 minutes        24 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment