Friday, July 15, 2011

Lets Go All the Way

Front Door to Work, 30+ Miles, but the Batteries Sagged..

Got a wild hair under my saddle today and decided to ride the bike all the way to work with NO car involved.
Jacque was worried, but she knows I'm crazy anyway, so off I went.  Gotta tell you, the first 2 miles up to the Triangle Gas Station intersection of Frost Road and North 14, was the absolute killer.  It's not far but it's a mostly uphill climb from where we get off our horrible dirt/rock/rutted/washed out 1-mile road and up on the paved roadway of Frost.  There is a steep hill just south of there that takes some huffinig and puffing to conquer but though it LOOKS steeper and longer it just doesn't suck the fire out of me like that 2 mile slow climb up Frost Road to the intersection.  I decided to pull into the Shell station at the intersection and take a breather.  I guzzled most of one of my 3 bottles of water and checked my blood glucose:  101 after eating my Breakfast Spam Half Sandwich with no bolus of insulin to cover it.  I treated myself to a Fried Apple Pie and took a potty break and took off again.  I probably spent 20 minutes there or I would have gotten to work measurably sooner.
I rode the so-called Bike / Pedestrian trail from Sandia Knolls down to about a mile north of Tijeras and then crossed NM-14 to ride in the right lane of traffic.  The so-called bike trail is spotted with weeds, gravel, all kinds of cracks, and unpredicable bumps and gutters every time a driveway or pullout interrupts it.  In other words, a lot like most bike trails:  Not fit to ride much faster than walking.When I went under I-40 and onto Olde Rt. 66, the shoulder varied from wonderfully wide and smooth to nonexistent.  One pickup passed within a foot of me as I was coasting down 14 almost to the I-40 on-ramp and it messed up my Christian attitude something awful.  I flipped him the universal one-finger salute and it's a good thing he kept going or he'd have had to whup me to calm me down.
Other than that S.O.B., I thought the trip was FUN.  It was a real hoot putting some real miles on the GPS.  It's not hard to imagine with a few weeks of sufficient time and practice being able to make a century day (100 miles for you unbiked people).  Maybe someday....
I also ditched the spare, heavy, lead-acid battery this morning and, of course, as a result, the main battery died just about the time I had 6 miles remaining on my commute.  So the radio blinked and blurped and the GPS tracker didn't report those last few miles.  Ah Well.  BAH
I'll try to condense a bit of the trip video to put on here later.
Awakening BG:  72                           Post-Ride BG: 101

Beginning Battery Voltage: 12.7         Ending Voltage: 10.1
Morning Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles: 31.91
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
11.1  Mph                          12.7 mph             34.8 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
2 Hours 52 mins               2 Hours 30 mins    22:03 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment