Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Happy 5th of July!!

Wow, slightly Longer and Different Route Today -

Well, I thought it was going to be a lousy weekend.  Jacque and I had decided to stay home and work on the house and yard instead of doing any 4th of July activities, such as traveling to Chama or somewhere where the temperature is still in the double digits.  We purchased some redi-mix sacks of concrete from the local home ripoff store and some other expensive items and Saturday was spent digging underneath the deck with pick and shovel and post-hole diggers for which to make stronger supports for the deck already overhead, which unfortunately is beginning to sag a bit under the weight of the new sewing room above it.  I managed to jam both my right thumb and right pinky and the finger next to it somehow, what with the whanging away with post-hole diggers being the biggest source of bumps and pains.  By Saturday night I was whupped.
Sunday was a great day.  Our stake had announced a stake fast and prayer for rain to ease the drought.  After an especially moving worship service in which many prayers were offered up for rain and relief, I had to laugh out loud at God's Goodness:  When we went to the door to leave after meetings, guess what we encountered???  A SOAKING WET parking lot, with drizzling rain.  It was certainly not enough to break the drought, yet, but it certainly was a nice response to a bunch of sinners' prayers.
Then Monday, the 4th, yesterday, Jacque went to work at the Beehive House (she's their prima cook, and old folks get hungry on national holidays, too) and I went to work mixing concrete and pulling weeds.  Jacque got home shortly after 3 PM and was able to help me, and we got the major piling poured by about 5:00 PM.  What a hassle.  I despise having to move so slow, being such an old farte and all, and still hurting all over from the effort.  These bags of concrete, when still dry, weigh 80 pounds each and are not fun to hump around from the Ford to the wheelbarrow to the waiting water mix before being dumped into the thirsty waiting piling-hole.
I mixed 4 bags of the stuff to make the one piling, and it was hot and sweaty work all the way, of course.  If I was still 30 it would have been much easier......
Anyway, I thought sure my back would be screaming in agony by the time we quit in exhaustion for the day, but so far so good.  I shouldn't state out loud that my back isn't suffering because it could do the delayed "
Spazz - Out" thing at any time.
This morning, Jacque's Ford Exploder had an appointment with the wheel alignment man who is expensive but thorough:  Chet's Wheel Alignment
So, she drove my Taurus to Edgewood and the Beehive Home, and I racked up my recumbent bike on her Exploder and drove it to Chet's and turned it over to them and loaded all my STUFF on the bike and rode 10 miles to work instead of 7.45 or so this morning.  Too bad I don't have sufficient spare time in my life to ride this distance or more every day.
 Awakening BG:  120                           Post-Ride BG: 107
Beginning Battery Voltage: 13.2         Ending Voltage: 12.5
Morning Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles:  10.04
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
12.1  Mph                          12.6 mph             24.2 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
49:37 mins                          47:46 mins           01:51 mins
   
Along about 4:30 PM the wheel alignment shoppe called to tell me Jacque's Exploder was ready to be picked up.  This was wonderful news, but when I asked how late they were open the response was "5:30 PM".  That gave me exactly one hour to ride 10 miles, with slight uphill grades part of the way.. I could likely make that distance that quickly IF the bike was already packed, loaded, and ready to go.  I asked him if he could PLEASE wait for me if I wasn't there by 5:30.  He asked "How MUCH later?"  I responded with my best guess of maybe 15 minutes or so... it normally takes me almost 50 minutes or more to ride my normal home-commute of 7.5 miles.  It was frustrating trying to get out of the building as quickly as I could and hit the road.   I took Jefferson straight south to Paseo and then took the back streets over to the diversion trail bike path, which saved me a mile and a half or so and several minutes.  I have to fight more traffic that way, especially at Jefferson and Paseo, one of the busiest intersections around.  Kinda dicey - which is why I rarely ride that way unless in a hurry, a storm is threatening, etc.
My current geek-squad equipment on the bike does not include a clock so I rode as fast as I could, in spite of the usual nasty afternoon headwinds.  The stoplight at Osuna and Chappel was, as usual, frustratingly slow.  When I finally got there, the guy was still there, holding the fort for me.... thank goodness.  Turns out I was only 5 minutes late:  It was 5:35 PM.  I actually passed 2 or 3 other riders today.  No telling why they were running so slow... maybe they were slowing down to pee in the weeds when I passed them and I mistakenly patted myself on the back.  WHATEVER

Beginning BG:  276 (My infusion site was bruised and leaking!)        Post-Ride BG:  297 (changed infusion set after this, got BG down to 107) 
Beginning Battery Voltage: 12.6 (No intermediate charging today) Ending Voltage: 12.0
Evening Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles:  9.09
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
09.7  Mph                          11.2 mph             21.5  mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
56:24 mins                        48:51 mins            07:33 mins



No comments:

Post a Comment