Thursday, July 28, 2011

Thursday Thirty-Two Miler (Yawn)

The tracker actually Worked Most of this Trip

You would think 32 mile commutes would not be a big thing since I've done SO MANY recently (well, ah, maybe not that many.... three times?)
Today was not quite as pleasurable.  I went off half cocked and since it has been so uneventful before, I wasn't as worried this morning and thus didn't think it would matter too much when I failed to "Carb Up" with a bigger breakfast than normally necessary when I only ride 7 miles in the morning and back the same route in the evening.  I made it past the wicked first 4 miles of the trip where it's either steep and long or gradual climbing and long, and from that point it's mostly coasting, sometimes in excess of 30 MPH, all the way down the canyon to Albuquerque city limits.  It's actually mostly downhill going west all the way from Clines Corners to the Rio Grande, where of course it begins going uphill again going west out of the Rio Grande Valley.  Thankfully, I don't ride all that distance on my morning commutes.
Anyway, as I approached the village of Tijeras on Olde Route  66 and had to actually push on the pedals a bit, I realized I was out of steam.  My legs were both wooden and wobbly at the same time.  The previous 2 rides through that area was that of exulting in the feeling of power and speed.  Not wooden or wobbly.
I carry carbs with me (normally chocolate chip oatmeal snack bars) but I was hoping to make it to work by 9 AM so I stopped on the road shoulder and guzzled the entire contents of my orange-flavored drink bottle.  Which was probably 15 or 20 carbs, and which did not provide much of a boost.  By the time I got to the last 7 mile leg of the commute, I knew my blood sugar was too low for comfort, but running late, I pressed on without stopping for another snack.  The last 3 miles felt like I was riding in a tunnel with limited vision.
When I got to work my Blood Glucose tested at 47.  I should have stopped for another snack break.  As I entered the Albuquerque City Limits:

 I rode right by Waffle House, which I considered patronizing for some hash browns covered with chili and jalapenos (YUM) but I thought I had to get to work on time.  I was 7 minutes late, and should have said to heck with it and stopped for more chow.  Oh Well.
The only other bike-mobile ham I encountered on the radio this morning was Phil W5PWB.  I also talked to Mark W5MHG, the newest recumbent rider in ABQ, but he was NOT on his bike.  Bummer
I adjusted my pannier brackets for a heavier load and rode with a sealed lead acid (SLA or Gel Cell) battery today, and it held up very well with only minor voltage drop at the end of the  almost-3 hour ride.  For some reason I didn't notice the additional several pounds of weight, mostly likely because I already pack so much junque already.  I'll probably continue to use this gel-cell battery and see if it can hold up under my full electronics load.
Awakening BG:  69                           Post-Ride BG: 47
Beginning Battery Voltage: 12.8         Ending Voltage: 12.5

Morning Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles: 31.71
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
11.0.  Mph                          11.7 mph             37.8 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
2 hours 26 mins               2 hours 16 mins         10.2 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment