Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Snowing, Dark, and Cold.... What a Lovely Day for a Bicycle Ride

Today's cool ride track via APRS/GPS
Today made for cold biking but almost satisfyingly so... just enough for me to take satisfaction in being able to ride in spite of the weather.  Last night it snowed so heavily from the eastern outskirts of Albuquerque all the way through Tijeras Canyon and up North-14 to home I would have stayed the night on Jake and Stacy's couch rather than fumble along in the cold and dark, almost totally blinded and yet not having ANY safe area in which to pull off the road and wait out the storm.  Then this morning I had to scrape ice off the car windshield to get out of the yard.  When I arrived at my parking lot to ditch the car and mount the bike I found solid blobs of ice encasing parts of the derailleur and the sprocket gear rings and the chain.  I chipped all those off before riding off, fearing otherwise it might make the chain just pop right out of place, and that's not a fun problem to solve when it happens.
Then, all the way from the car to work, every few hundred feet more ice chunks would flake off the bike and go SPLAT! on the trail, often spooking me with the noise, making me think I'd lost something important off the bike.
Thankfully the trail and path and streets were clear of ice, so I didn't do any unrehearsed fancy tricks (Like sliding upside down with the wheels in the air).  All the ice was actually left over from last night's trip home through the blowing snow.

Pre-Ride BG: 116                          BG when arrived at Work:    50
Beginning Battery Voltage: 12.5       Ending Voltage: 12.5   (Gel Cell battery pack,  not charged last night)
Beginning Temperature:  41 F (in ABQ)        Ending Temperature:  51 F
Morning Stats from the GPS:        Total Miles:    7.44
Overall average speed         Moving Avg           Max Speed
9.7 Mph                              11.1 mph               21.8 mph
Total Trip time                    Moving Time          Stopped Time
45 mins 59 secs                  40 mins 9 secs     05 mins 50 secs

No comments:

Post a Comment