Wednesday, November 23, 2011

'Twas the Wednesday Before Thanksgiving

Pre-Thanksgiving Two-Wheel Trek-to-Work Track
Well, it's been, like, a WEEK since I rode the recumbent last.  Longest absence from the bike in the last couple of years.  In spite of the cool, nay, freezing temperatures outside in the mornings, Idon't like to miss a day.... Because I really miss the riding and the feeling of well being that comes daily after cooling down from a ride.
My excuse has been the effort to maximize daylight in order to finish construction on Jacque's new sewing room which will primarily house her long arm quilting machine.  I'm down to the last 2 ceiling panels and thence the flooring will commence.  Jacque piped up in her inimitable fashion and told me this morning "Let's stop trying to rush the sewing room.  No matter what we do we can't get it done in time for dinner tomorrow anyway."  So I took the sweet hint and dressed in bicycle layers and did my usual 7.47 mile commute from the top secret parking place this morning.  I was more slow than ever this morning and I assumed it must be due to a week of not riding.  However, I was shocked to find my blood glucose at 265(!) when I got to work.  Something was wrong in my insulin pump connection or plumbing somewhere.  It was almost out of gas (insulin) anyway, and started bleeping about 40 minutes after arrival at work, so I had to re-load and re-insert the apparatus.  Hopefully this fresh load of insulin will have more punch.  And I can get back to eating like a pig again.  Erp.Oink
Pre-Ride BG:  216   --  BG when arrived at Work: 54
Beginning Battery Voltage: 12.5                Ending Voltage: 12.5 (Gel Cell battery pack, charged last WEEK)
Beginning Temperature: 55 F  (in ABQ)     Ending Temperature: 66 F
Morning Stats from the GPS: Total Miles: 7.37
Overall average speed                    Moving Avg                       Max Speed
8.2 Mph                                         09.7 mph                             18.9 mph
Total Trip time                               Moving Time                      Stopped Time
54 mins 0 secs                                45 mins 33 secs                   8 mins 27 secs 
The ride back to the car was wonderfully nice:  The boss ordered us to leave early and I was happy to do so.  It meant I got to do my afternoon ride in the daylight instead of just while the sun is setting and totally dark by the time I'm halfway back to the car.
Pre-Ride BG:    152                                   Post-Ride BG:  56  
Beginning Battery Voltage: 12.7                Ending Voltage: 12.6 (Why it's a tenth of a volt higher than this morning is a mystery)
Evening Stats from the GPS: Total Miles: 7.41
Overall average speed                    Moving Avg                       Max Speed
7.8 Mph                                         10.0 mph                             20.9 mph
Total Trip time                               Moving Time                      Stopped Time
56 mins 59 secs                                44 mins 19 secs                   12 mins 40 secs 

No comments:

Post a Comment