Friday, August 3, 2018

Finders Keepers

Today's Tracking, Partially Only

The Sun came out today.
Actually, at 7 AM it was not yet "out" but the scattered clouds were mainly providing shade, not moisture, as has been the case with unremitting rain the last few days.  SOGGY
I was a bit slow getting going today due to hauling trash, dog walking, loading the Catrike on top of the Exploder, yada, yada.  But I finally got up and rolling and rode down my favorite local road:  Tennessee 27 toward Dayton TN.
The sun had not burned through the clouds yet.  Had I started earlier I likely would have skipped the sun-block but to be safe, I squirted the goo over my exposed parts and took off.
I thought I'd ride a bit further today and received a treat as a result.  As I got closer to Dayton, I heard a voice coming up behind me and realized another cyclist had overtaken me.  As we rode together for the next couple of miles we learned we were both retired, relatively slender, and diabetic to boot.  He was riding a Trek upright Diamond Frame and of course I was on my recumbent trike.  He lived in Dayton so he kept on going when I turned around to go the other way back toward my parked Exploder.
I normally see all kinds of scrap and trash and assorted items along the road, but rarely am I tempted to pick something up to take home.  Today was different.  I spotted a couple of irresistible treasures:
I found these babies about a mile apart while throwing trash off the shoulder into the weeds.
The square aluminum tubing is not much to look at, but between the RV and the trikes and the radio antennas, I find all sorts of uses for all sorts of aluminum tubing and brackets.  This will not take long to be absorbed into some project.  The spring clamp is something I've often seen but never owned before, but a usable tool like this will not sit ignored in the toolbox forever.
I was vastly enjoying the clear weather for the ride when suddenly - seemingly out of a blue clear sky, as George Strait would state it, I felt a few drops which rapidly turned into a light drizzle.  Above me just over my shoulder I spotted some puffy but dark clouds which were not directly over me but the air currents were obviously wafting the raindrops over towards me.  I did not slow down nor stop.  Light rain here in the sub tropics of Tennessee are similar to rain in Hawaii:  It gets you damp or even wet but it is NOT cold;  pretty much just "room temperature".  In several more minutes I had ridden out of the damp zone back out into the sunshine.

Ride Started: 9:13 AM    Ride Ended:  11:47 AM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   13.0 Ending Voltage: 12.9  Lowest:  12.9
Beginning Blood Glucose:  127     Ending BG: 136  

(No breakfast;  insulin pump basal rate cut back to 80% for the ride)
Lowest Temp  71 F      Highest Temp: 78 F   
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  18.29 
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed  

7.1 MPH                                 8.7 MPH                     25.5 MPH 
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time 
2 hours 34 mins                       2 hours 5 mins            28 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment