Thursday, August 30, 2018

Thursday Thoroughbred

I was saddling up getting ready for a before-breakfast trike ride this morning when Jacque started making noises about wanting to take a ride too.  Since both trikes are currently in or on the Ford Exploder,  it was no trouble for us to both load up and go.
I normally ride somewhat faster than Jacque does, for a couple reasons:
(1) She doesn't ride as often
(2) Her Catrike Pocket is heavier than my older Catrike Road
(3) She usually carries both Tink and Lilly in her baskets.  They are only maybe 5 pounds each, but the extra weight does make a difference.
Since she had ridden a couple days ago for several miles without any difficulty, I felt safe in letting her fall behind and ride her own pace while I went on ahead to get in my desired 10 mile minimum.
It started out cool but very foggy and humid this morning, and eventually turned hot and humid as the sun got higher in the sky and burned off the shady fog.
Nothing of note happened between our two rides today, but Jacque was impressive again with her triking distance achieved. She achieved at least 6 to 8 miles, and was pedaling strong when she came over the horizon where I was waiting for her.  When she had knee replacement surgery a couple years ago, she immediately started trike riding, and was especially motivated to ride her trike the several miles to and from the post-operative therapy sessions.  Where most people stagger in with wheelchairs and 4-plex canes, Jacque would arrive under her own steam on her Trike, ready for exercise therapy AFTER a 3 or 4 mile ride.  She made great progress and was ambulatory in a very short time, amazing her doctors and therapists.  Hopefully her triking will help in this recovery from frozen shoulder surgery as well.  So I label her a thoroughbred pacer today.
My feet have been getting too numb while riding recently, and after Googling "neuropathy" I decided I have been doing too much sitting and not enough walking recently.  With my diabetes, riding the trike helps, but the elevation of my feet while riding recumbent has not helped with foot circulation.
So the last couple days I have been trying to walk more than just around the compound waiting for the dogs to pee and poop.  I find it much harder to motivate myself to walk, compared to riding the bikes and trikes, but I noticed quite an improvement in my numb feet today.  So I need to walk at least a mile or two almost as often as riding the trike, it would appear.
I've almost decided it ain't worth the trouble trying to keep trash thrown off the road shoulders, even on this Dayton stretch where it's much cleaner than on the Rockford highway north of Spring City.
Every day more debris is scattered every which way, and when a big truck tire self destructs, the mess is hard to ride safely around:
So I got off the trike and took a few minutes to throw these huge tire chunks off the roadway.

Ride Started:  8:45 AM    Ride Ended:  10:22 AM
Beginning Blood Glucose:  168  Ending BG: 61
(Half an Apple for breakfast, pump basal set to 75% for this ride)
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  11.49
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed  
7.1 MPH                                  7.8 MPH                     19.2 MPH 
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time 
1 hour 37 mins                       1 hour 28 mins           8 minutes

1 comment:

  1. We saw one of those big tires self-destruct once, just a couple of car lengths in front of us. It exploded with a bang like cannon fire, a big cloud of gray smoke erupted, and those large chunks of rubber were blown out in all directions. It was on a crowded freeway, and cars were weaving and dodging all over the road trying to avoid hitting or getting hit by those chunks. It's a miracle there wasn't a serious crash or a pile up, but thank goodness we, and apparently all the other vehicles in the area, managed to get through safely. Very scary!

    ReplyDelete