Friday, August 24, 2018

Stop Thief ! !

Since Jacque's recent shoulder operation, we've been going over to Athens TN for post operative therapy sessions.  Yesterday was one of her sessions late in the afternoon.  I had decided we needed to move the RV out from under the tree canopy on the edge of Bitner's RV Park and park out in the open instead.  Thus we would lose the partial shade of the trees, but I'm hoping the insect and rubble issues will be less a little farther away from the trees.
Everything under the trees is daily showered with layers of leaves, bits and pieces of limbs and bark, and insects of all kinds, especially ants.  When I had previously been up on the roof to lubricate the front air conditioner motor, I was disturbed by the masses of small ants all over the roof, amongst all the other stuff.  At night every few minutes the roof would go "Ker-Thunk!" from the sounds of dropping acorns, leaf clusters, and twigs.  So I asked the RV camp lady if we could move across the driveway into another spot in the open, and she agreed.
Thus, instead of riding my trike in the morning, I spent the time relocating all our RV stuff from the one spot to the other.  It only took half the day to move about 50 feet away.  No biggie.
After Jacque's tiring therapy session, we decided to eat out instead of her having to cook something when we got back.  We decided to eat at the China Wok, where the Sherwood fam had introduced us a couple weeks ago.  Great food.  We enjoyed ourselves until a couple sat in the booth in front of us and the fellow began regaling his lady with loud statements and gestures.
We enjoyed the rest of the meal anyway, and Jacque treated herself to some ice cream.  The waitress/hostess brought us our ticket but never came by to pick up the packet and charge card, so I finally got up to take care of the payment up front while Jacque finished her ice cream.  As I approached the cash register and the nice lady appeared behind it, suddenly the "loud guy" came rushing behind me holding his cell phone, talking loudly into it as he exited the front door, ignoring the alarmed cries from the staff who smelled something bad going on.  His "lady" came right behind him, telling the waitresses "He's just going out to get his wallet" or something to that effect.    That confused the waitresses for a moment until SHE rushed past us all and out into the boyfriend's truck.  The waitresses were right on their tails, hollering at them to stop and come back, but they jumped in their truck and roared away, leaving the waitresses wringing their hands in despair.  As they came back in to accept MY payment, They exclaimed several times "WHY would anyone DO such a thing?" although surely it's happened before.  I suppose what they SHOULD do is charge people immediately for what they order up front.  After all it's a buffet, so paying up front shouldn't be a problem, unless you're hoping for an illicit free feed.
Jacque and I occasionally enjoy paying for someone else's meal when we spot them or sit close to them in restaurants.  I hadn't planned on doing so this time but I couldn't resist offering to pay the bill for the bokum rip-off customers.  "Are you sure?" they asked, and I reassured them, Yes.  It cost the same as our bill, not that much, but we know sometimes the waitress has to pay for such deadbeats who scram without paying, in spite of their lack of ability to catch or overpower most such malcontents.
So, to the nasty couple who think you got away with ripping off an honest business, please remember that "What Goes Around, Comes Around".  As the Good Book says, cast ye your bread upon the water and it will return to you....
This morning, I had no moving duties for RV or otherwise, so I went for a trike ride.  Unlike the last ride, the radios didn't connect through the network at any time so I have no GPS tracking data to report.  But the morning was cool and sunny.  It has been in the low 60's overnight the last few nights which is unusual for this area.  We'll enjoy it while it lasts.  I hope.
Not much unusual happened on my 11 mile ride back and forth today, except  for a bit more road cleaning than usual.  I have ridden around a flattened dried up deer carcass ever since we arrived here, and today I thought to myself "If I had a stick of some kind I could scrape most of that mess off the road shoulder into the weeds".  A few feet past the carcass and I spotted a flat piece of house trim lying in the grass, that I had thrown off the shoulder a week or so ago.  I stopped, locked the brakes on the trike, and spent at least 15 minutes scraping and flipping and shoving bits and pieces of bone and hide off the shoulder.  Finally I got it done to my satisfaction and I was able to roll on.
I COULD take a whole day instead of a few minutes at a time and try to clean up this stretch of road shoulder to the point where I wouldn't have to be distracted and disgusted by so much trash and debris, but it would be largely a waste of time.  Every day there is more "Stuff" to deal with.  I DID notice that the 5th wheel tailgate I dug out of the weeds several days ago was long gone this morning, so hopefully the actual owner was the one who retrieved it.

Ride Started:  9:55 AM    Ride Ended:  11:42 AM
Beginning Blood Glucose:  219  Ending BG: 86
(Ate breakfast, pump basal set to 80% for this ride)
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  11.51
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed  
6.5 MPH                                 7.5 MPH                     19.7 MPH 
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time 
1 hour 47 mins                       1 hour 31 mins            15 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment