Friday, April 19, 2019

Carrying the Mail


Follow the Trike's Track Around the Town Square

Yesterday was dark, wet, cold, and miserable.  Too sloppy to ride the trike, dernit.
Today was sunny but very breezy and unseasonably cold and I almost failed to drag the trike out.
However, we had a couple of Ebay return packages to mail, so I used that as a last minute excuse to go for at least a shortie ride.
I wore a polar fleece jacket to try to keep the cold wind off the old bod, and I did NOT get overheated.
It was brisk, to say the least.  The wind was so stiff it actually produced noticeable pushback as I rode, in spite of the lowness of the trike and the bubble windshield up front that supposedly deflects air around and to the sides when I encounter such breezes.  I never pedal fast enough to generate much resistance on my own, but it seems to help when I'm facing a headwind.
Since the Post Office is just across the tracks and around the corner, maybe a third of a mile at best, it didn't take long to make the trip out.  When I exited the :Post Office, I decided to go on around the town square, just a few hundred feet away, and get a haircut.  My hair was beginning to brush my ears and ever since I got forcefully close-cropped in the Army some 50 - odd years ago, I haven't been able to tolerate longish hair. 
It didn't take long for the barber to get to me, since he was sitting in his own barber chair reading a magazine when I entered.
So I rode on around the rest of the square, with my helmet a bit looser and cooler, and made it home before any of our dozens of daily trains blocked the crossing.
Here in Southern Missouri, we haven't experienced the flooding so prevalent up St. Louis way, and as a result the train routes seem to have been re routed through here instead, leading to a pronounced increase in the daily noise level and number of trains coming through.  They seem to be less than 15 minutes apart at times.

Ride Started:  4:01 PM        Ride Ended:  4:39 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  14.2  Ending Battery Voltage:  12.9 Lowest Voltage:  12.9
Beginning Blood Glucose:  90     Ending BG: 59
Lowest Temp:  53 F    Highest Temp:  60 F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  1.14

Distance Walked: 1/2 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
   1.8   MPH                           5.5   MPH            16.8 MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped Time
 39 minutes                        12 minutes           26 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment