Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Small Town, Short Trike Trips

Typical Tracking Plot

I had a chiropractor appointment today at 1:30, and it 'twas a beautiful day so I pedaled my way to his office and back.
We used to have two vehicles so Jacque and I didn't have to share vehicles so much.  We sold her Subaru in Albuquerque before we left and towed the Ford Exploder behind the RV.
Now the Exploder is our only about-town vehicle, not counting the huge RV which isn't much fun to commute around town with.
Mountain Grove is quite the small town, and few if any businesses we've patronized so far are more than 2 or 3 miles away..... So they're perfectly reachable via pedal-power.  Barring nasty weather that is.
The chiropractor's office is almost exactly 2 miles away.  I've ridden the trike there before, and today was no exception.
After a severe prodding and pounding, I walked out feeling somewhat less pain in the feet, even though they were painful throughout the chiropractor visit.  The VA neurologist told us part of my foot problems pointed to 2 separate injuries in my back, one quite old and one more recent (Overloading my back hauling furniture and appliances back and forth during the household move?).
The VA doc gave me a worksheet showing stretching exercises that are supposed to strengthen the back and help with pain, and they do SOME good.  So I do a twice-a-month visit to the chiropractor and it seems to help too, even if short term.
The trike ride turned into almost twice what I'd planned for since I forgot to go to the ATM for the cash needed for the procedure.  When I checked out I told the gal sheepishly that I could only pay half right now, and please - I'll run to the bank and bring you the rest??
Thankfully she didn't call the cops but smilingly allowed me to retrieve the necessary cash.
So I was getting  a tad bit tired by the time I got home.  I usually detour around a few city blocks to lengthen the ride but I felt I had already detoured enough.
After cooling off a bit, I realized I had not yet filled out an important gov't document that we received in the mail 2 days ago:  Our Missouri personal and real estate property tax declaration, requiring listing of cars, boats, RVs, tractors, implements, house, etc, etc.  Missouri has the strange (to me) policy of charging a fee for registering your vehicles and THEN requiring property tax to be paid on the same items.  I detest property taxes anyway, since it slowly drains value from whatever you own, in effect the state charging rent on things you've already paid for.  AND they keep charging you every year, in spite of the fact that non-business property is NOT gaining in value or generating income for the taxpayer.
Maybe that's one of the reasons land is relatively cheaper here....
So I painstakingly filled out the form, put a stamp on it, and took it post haste to the Post Office.
The P.O. is only just across the tracks and around the corner, 42/100ths of a mile, so that was an easy additional ride, and I got back just in time for Jacque's homemade General Tso's spicy chicken and rice.  YUM.

Ride 1 Started:  12:45 PM        Rides Ended:  6:33 PM
Beginning Blood Glucose:  284(!)    Ending BG:  60
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  4.85
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
   5.51   MPH                           6.8   MPH            18.7 MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped Time
54 minutes                            42 minutes            10 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment