Saturday, April 13, 2019

Have Trike. Will Travel

Today's Around Town GPS Tracking



Our spring weather suddenly took a turn for nippy the last couple of days.  This morning was even colder, with cloudy overcast with no sun peeping through.  The outside thermometer claimed 46 degrees.  I decided to take a ride anyway.  The fact that Jacque had a small sewing class going in the house had a lot to do with the decision too.
I actually layered up with a felt jacket inside and the day-glow windbreaker on the outer-side, along with my polar fleece skull cap on top.  I did NOT get overheated.
Here I Come...
I stopped several times during this rather short 6-mile ride to massage my feet, and it helped.
Lots of kids and adults at the county fairgrounds and other gathering places stopped and stared as I rolled by, as usual.
I was shocked when I arrived home and checked my blood glucose (BG).  It was HIGHER than before I took the 6-mile ride which usually dramatically lowers the glucose level.  This, in spite of the fact I had nothing to eat since last night.....
My insulin pump infusion sets have been malfunctioning recently, and this time it's really bad.  The infusion needle is lined with a plastic tube sleeve, which is supposed to remain under the skin when the insertion pin is pulled out.  I've used these for years with very few failures, and the last two boxes of infusion sets have had some kind of quality control problem:  When the needle set is inserted into the skin, the sleeve under the skin "sticks" to the metal needle and either collapses or bends into a kinked elbow that prevents insulin from flowing through.  Thus the pump continues to pump fruitlessly without getting to the fatty tissue's blood vessels.  The manufacturer is Medtronic, and I have sent them a complaint about the previous box of infusion sets and have received no response yet.  That failure rate was almost 1 out of 3, and now this newest box has 100 percent failures. Out of 4 units tried, none have worked.  We had to make an emergency run to WalMart to get a box of hypodermic needles so I can dose myself manually, which I have not done in over 10 years.  Had to do a bit of research to try proper dosages of both fast acting and slow acting insulins.  I've gotten spoiled relying on the pump and its convenience, but the needles don't bother me.  Just hoping to get my BG back under control again.
I'm really glad I did the trike today for two reasons:  (1)My BG would have been even worse without it, and (2) it started to rain 30 minutes after I got home high and dry.
And There I go....


Ride Started:  11:33 AM        Ride Ended:  1:05 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  14.0  Ending Battery Voltage:  12.9 Lowest Voltage:  12.9
Beginning Blood Glucose:  58(!)     Ending BG:  84
Lowest Temp:  64 F    Highest Temp:  64 F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  6.09

Distance Walked: 1/2 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
   4.3   MPH                           6.7   MPH            15.9 MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped Time
15 minutes                            10 minutes           5 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment