Monday, May 27, 2019

Sunny Monday, Stay Tuned for Storms

Today's GPS Tracking

My aging sore feet have been doing much better lately, so I looked forward even more to a trike ride today.  Today's sunny atmosphere, of course, comes with the price of increased temperatures.  With our many storms recently also comes humidity.  Thus I aimed to get going early today before it got too hot.
Of course, I goofed off much too long and wound up riding out shortly before noonish, which for some reason had already warmed the day somewhat.  STILL a great day to ride...
I took a reverse path today almost mirroring a ride I've done a couple times before, out of the small town of Mountain Grove and a few miles of country roads.  What few motorists I encounter invariably give me a wide berth when passing and often yells of encouragement.
I didn't stop in anyone's driveway today so I suppose that's why I got no offers of drink or "carbs", as happened to Jacque and me last week.  Not a problem.... since I carry my own water (2 plastic bottles) and carbs, both homemade and storeboughten.
I did make several stops, and consumed most of one bottle of water, as well as a couple Excedrin tablets.
A couple rides ago I realized with all the heat and humidity, my windshield/fairing was doing me no favors.  I almost never achieve speeds that gain any benefit from it directing air around my feet, and with the heat I definitely NEED that air cooling my feet instead of avoiding them.
This is the second ride I've taken without the fairing, and I do confess I don't miss it.
I've also been trying several styles of shoes that increase foot exposure to the cooling air.  The best ones, so far, are what I call Ho Chi Minh Combat Boots.  They closely resemble the shoes made by hand in Vietnam from cast-off jeep and truck tires  The natives, both North and South, cut up such tires into foot-size shapes and added straps to hold them on your feet, and they functioned quite well.
Many of the Viet Cong were noted for wearing these things into battle, and the South Vietnamese both wore them AND sold them to GI's such as me, where we mainly used them as shower shoes.
The ones I have look a lot like such shoes but are NOT made of old tires.
They not only allow lots of air flow around my toes but are easy to slip off for rest breaks.
Rest breaks of which I took several today.
When I got back home, my feet were of course tired and burning, but the great news is that they now cool off and stop hurting after several minutes of rest.
Now all I have to do is get busy and do something productive instead of just pure fun....
Our southern and midwestern states have been getting pounded with unusual amounts of severe weather recently.  Current forecasts include more in the next couple days...

Ride Started:  11:12 PM      Ride Ended:  12:27 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.9   Ending Battery Voltage:  12.9 Lowest Voltage:  12.9
Beginning Blood Glucose:    195     Ending BG: 88
Lowest Temp:  75 F    Highest Temp:  82 F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  5.31

Distance Walked: 1/2 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
   4.4   MPH                           5.8  MPH            19.6 MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped Time
 1 hour 12 mins                  55
 minutes           17 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment