Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Old Fart on the Highway

Today's Road Rambling

As usual, today I thought I'd get an earlier start in the morning for my quasi-daily ride, but goofed off so long - as usual - until the sun was already high and hot.  I again noted, with disgust, that Yuma AZ was TEN DEGREES COOLER than Mountain Grove. 
My riding goal for today was to drop in on a church buddy of mine in Cabool, which is only about 8 miles away.  It was so warm and my feet so hot I had to stop and rest several times, one of which was the Subway sandwich shoppe just off the middle US-60 Mountain Grove on/off ramp.  I wanted a fizzy drink, so I ordered a small cup.  A DOLLAR and NINETY-FIVE CENTS for a SMALL drink?
Sorry, Subway..... Never Again.  The soda was nice and fizzy and cool, and after stewing about my extravagrant purchase, I rode the short distance to the on-ramp and proceeded east on US 60.

I had done some maintenance and repair on the trike last evening, and they worked out well:
- Aired up all 3 tires
- Added a 11 inch extension to the black plastic tubing chain guard
- Realigned and lubricated my front gear shifter cable and guides

All items gave noticeable improvement. 
The inflated tires rolled stiffer but easier with less friction.
The extension to the chain REALLY worked well, since in the years ever since I purchased this Catrike , my right leg always gets striped with black grease from occasional brushes with the chain.  The extension appears to be long enough to forestall such encounters, at least THIS time.
The shifter repair and alignment allowed me, for the first time in weeks, to shift into my largest and highest-speed gear ring on the front gearset.  Thus I was able to increase my speed a little, especially on level and downhill runs.  I see my average speed actually showed up on the GPS data.
Even with all these wonderful improvements, I get tired pedaling down (and especially UP) the road.
Shade was at a premium since it was close to high noon, so my rest breaks occurred mostly in the bright sunshine.  But it's always great to rest - and occasionally massage - the feet.
Speaking of which, my lovely doggie Tinkerbell has recently  begun the wonderful habit:

When she first started this delightful habit, it tickled my feet so much I couldn't stand it for long.
Now, I eagerly allow her to lick and massage my feet just as long as her little heart can stand it.  It's a WONDERFUL therapy for old worn out feet!

By the time I got to the easternmost exit into Mountain Grove, I checked my map and realized:
- I still had more than 2 miles to go for my intended destination
-I was at the 6 mile mark and thus I would accumulate at least a dozen bragging miles, just by turning around.
I turned around.
For the return trip, I stopped at Walmart, now on my side of the freeway, and found a shady spot behind some of their outside displays where I could rest and cool off and drink my relatively affordable 50 cent soda.  A lady approached me and enquired "Did you build that thing?"  - Meaning my trike, of course.  I reassured her they were factory-made in Florida, even though some intrepid do-it-your-selfers DO build similar machines.  She said, of course, she'd never seen one before.
A common enough statement around these parts.....
Again made it back home safe and sound, though a bit late with the additional miles and lazy stops.

Ride Started:   11:13 AM      Ride Ended:  2:05 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.7  Ending Battery Voltage:  13.0   Lowest Voltage:  13.0
Beginning Blood Glucose:  121      Ending BG: 104
Lowest Temp:  75 F    Highest Temp:  82  F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  13.10
Distance Walked: 1 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  4.6 
MPH                             6.9 MPH              22.9 MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped  Time
 3 hours 52 mins
                1 hour 54 mins       58 minutes

1 comment: