Thursday, June 30, 2011

Thankfully Thursday

Another wonderful day to ride the bike in the countryside..... or to work.  SIGH
Just before I reached the point in the bike trail where I found Lisa's pocketbook, I rattled across the inevitable wood-wobble-bridge, rattling my teeth and skull and everything else and giving me a slight idea why Lisa's pocketbook landed where it did..... just past this destructo bridge.  I have lost SO many things off my bike and body while cycling it's tough to list very many of them.  Almost nothing is ever seen again.   I lost a relatively new denim jacket out from under some Bungee cords a couple years ago and I must assume some baggy pants type has enjoyed it ever since.  I lost my company picture ID card several years ago and was in the process of getting it replaced when a nice attractive young lady called me up to say she'd found it alongside the road near her home where I used to ride a lot commuting.  There was no value in hanging on to the card for its pretty finder, but she was so nice I'm certain she would have returned even valuable stuff like a wallet had she found it and been able to track me down.  Which suggests maybe I should insert my name and number somewhere on "Stuff" I regularly carry on the bike.... after all, it's never a smooth ride for long.  Maybe had I done so I'd have my beloved denim jacket back.
Awakening BG:  114                           Post-Ride BG: 103 (even after eating a candy bar just before the ride)
Beginning Battery Voltage: 13.2         Ending Voltage: 12.6
Morning Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles:  7.44
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
10.4  Mph                          12.5 mph             24.7 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
42:59 mins                          35:34 mins           07:25 mins

Afternoon R ide back:  Another head-banger head-windy ride.  The wind was very stiff but at least it was cooler than the last few days.
About half a mile after I turned east on the Hahn Arroyo Trail, I met a young Dad with his 2 very young kids riding on tiny bikes behind him.  The oldest was a cutie girl maybe 7 years old.  The youngest, the boy, was maybe 5 or so and very wobbly, and just as he was almost past me he wobbled sideways and his bike went down and he went flat on his face over the handlebars.  He was going very slow and had only a couple of feet to fall but he did a face-plant and started screaming his poor lungs out.  I stopped, the Dad stopped, and the poor guy seemed to be OK.  His helmet, thankfully, had enough overhang in the front that his face did not seem to have actually contacted the pavement.  He was crying and pointing to his knee, which was not bleeding but had a tiny bit of gravel in it, so his pride may well have been the worst injury.  I wanted to hug him and calm him down too but Dad seemed to have it well in hand.  Big Sister was full of commentary and information.  She was very matter-of-fact and seemed to have never met a stranger.
Beginning BG:  59 (!)                             Post-Ride BG:  84 
Beginning Battery Voltage: 12.9 (With intermediate charging) Ending Voltage: 11.9
Evening Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles:  7.44
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
08.0  Mph                          09.4 mph             20.3  mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
55.59 mins                        47:24 mins            08:35 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment