Saturday, July 9, 2016

Changing Habits - Maybe

Friday Tracking via GPS and Ham Radio

Well, Friday morning I again woke up to pee, this time just AFTER 5:00 AM, so I saddled up again for as long a ride as I could squeeze into less than an hour.
This is summertime riding, but one nice thing about getting out so early is that I get very little exposure to the SUN, since it's dark when I start and barely peeking daylight by the time I get back.  Plus, it's absolutely the coolest temperature-period for the entire day.
I lost my Velcro emergency strap-brake (Wind it around the handle-grip to squeeze the hand brake to keep it from rolling away when I get off ) so I've had to be careful when I stop for anything.  A couple times I've had to block the wheel with my trusty  Gerber Multi-Tool and I'm lucky I haven't just forgotten this expensive piece of gear and ridden away blissfully.
I was running out of time already and wanting to ride somewhere at least a little different than every-time-the-same, so I turned off the Northern Diversion Channel Trail onto the spur leading circuituously around toward Journal Center on Jefferson.  I'd only gone maybe a hundred yards when I encountered a large coyote crossing the trail.... an unusually large critter but very skinny and malnourished-looking.
I got out the cell phone and caught a little of him on video, but by then he was so far away I doubt he can be seen in the video.  Rats, nope, I just watched it a few more times and the only thing that can be seen is a faint moving speck.
I usually see all kinds of rabbits and roadrunners up and down along the bike trails, but this is the first time for a coyote sighting.  Maybe the roadrunner keeps him skinny by leading him on false goose-chases, Har.
So no coyote video today.  Maybe Manana....

Ride Started: 5:35 AM    Ride Ended:  6:30 AM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   13.0   Ending Voltage: 12.7  Lowest:  12.4
Lowest Temp  64 F      Highest Temp:  68 F 
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  5.54
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
   5.6 MPH                            6.6 MPH                       15 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
59 minutes                             50 minutes                 9  minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment