Saturday, July 16, 2016

Things Done Today

I did not get any bike riding done today, Saturday, though I had sorta planned for one around noonish.
Instead, I put a new fabric seat on my recumbent 2-wheeler bike, which is a nice change.
It was so warm out that I drug the bike up on the deck under the shade of the deck roof, which was still uncomfortably warm but not as bad as out in the sunshine.
I should have taken "Before" pictures of the old seat, but here are 2 pictures of the new seat:

This bike is home built - by someone else I bought it from - but the seat may well be a Terratrike seat since this Terratrike replacement fabric fit it even better than the job I recently did on the Terratrike storebought trike.  It was so hot and stuffy today by the time I got through with the seat I was in no mood to ride anywhere, though of course I did sit in the seat to see how it felt, and it felt great.  Well worth the 60-something bucks it cost for the fabric from Terratrike.  The previous seat I stitched myself from sail mesh, and it took a lot of cutting, lacing, and all kinds of grief.  THIS seat cover clips on with multiple snap-together straps, which are then pulled tight to fit the seat.  Maybe a 20-minute job, once the old seat was removed, which took a lot longer.
About the middle of this project it was getting so hot I decided to interrupt it and replace the pads in our swamp cooler on the roof.  I was glad I did, since the old ones were full of scale and gunk.  After I got them all replaced, I immediately turned on the water pump and the swamp blower motor and wondered why the house wasn't cooling off.  After about an hour I decided to check the temperature difference inside vs. outside the house.  I was mildly shocked to find the outside temp was 97 degrees on one side of the house, 99 on the other.  The inside temperature?  77 degrees, which didn't feel all that cool, UNLESS I just came in from outside.   There's only so much a swamp cooler can do, and a 20 degree drop ain't that bad.
It was a scorcher today, and I have to be glad we didn't spend the entire day in Albuquerque where it's normally at least 10 degrees hotter than our 6800 foot altitude at the casa.
I also did all the laundry today since Jacque was in town all day for an embroidery hoo-hah.
Then I pulled weeds in the front yard and moved several wheelbarrows of wood chips over to a patch of weeds sprouting up in the middle of our so-called xeriscaped yard section.  Then I buried a bucket of slop in the compost pile down the hill from the house.  I replaced the missing yellow bug lamp out on the front porch, plus cleaned up the firewood still piled helter-skelter on the front deck.
No wonder I'm pooped.  Although it pains me to remember back when I was a young punk such a low level of exertion would not have fazed me at all.  Oh Well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment