Saturday, July 9, 2016

Wow, a Weekend Ride

Today's Dry Ride Tracking

I didn't go biking early today, but I did get out before it got to the hottest part of the day.
I was net control  for the SCAT (Senior Citizens And Travelers) net on the 2 meter ham radio today, as I function every Friday and Saturday morning.  After that, I made some chocolate chip cookies while the house was still cool.  That only took about an hour, and by now it was around 9:30 AM and the sun was getting up but I wanted to get in a decent ride before it really got hot.  Up here at home it is a couple thousand feet higher in elevation and 10 degrees cooler than in Albuquerque but when it's over 100 in Albuquerque and 90+ here in Sandia Park it's still pretty uncomfortable.
I realized I left my bike pannier and helmet in Albuquerque at the RV, so I dug out my standby helmet, quick-charged a small battery to run the radios, and dug the 2-wheel recumbent out of the shed.  Tires, nice and hard and full - CHECK.  Plugged in the battery to activate the radios and GPS - CHECK.
Halfway down the hill I remember to check my water bottles - RATS!  Not a drop of water on board.
I'd taken the bottles in last week to refill them and forgot to bring them back out to the bike. 
I coulda turned around and chugged back up to the house and gotten the AWOL water bottles, but I was already running so late I decided to just press on without water and turn around early, and see how far I could go without getting too badly dehydrated.
It wasn't too bad.  I made it to the top of maybe the second or third hill eastward before I decided I didn't want to go until I got dizzy.  I stopped under shade trees a couple times for waterless breaks but I decided to turn it around and go back.  I waited for the oncoming vehicular traffic to pass and leave me a big opening so I could do my "40 acre" turnaround without stopping or dismounting.
Glad I was to get out for a second day in a row.  Now if I can just motivate myself to do it every weekday, minus of course the days we must travel out of town for mission conferences and such.

Ride Started: 10:10 AM    Ride Ended:  11:16 AM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   11.9   Ending Voltage: 11.4  Lowest:  11.1 (This was a small AA Nicad pack, partially helped by the solar panel on the front fender)
Lowest Temp  84 F      Highest Temp:  94 F 
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  5.54
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
   5.6 MPH                            6.6 MPH                       15.02 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
    59 minutes                           50 minutes                 9  minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment