Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Tuesday

Tuesday Travel Track

Another thrilling day out on the early morning trail
I decided to try riding north on Jefferson up to Balloon Fiesta Park and then around to the diversion trail back down to the office.
There is a nice bike lane at Jefferson and Osuna so all was well -- at first.  When I got maybe a mile north, the bike lane abruptly ended with one of Albuquerque's famous abrupt endings, pointing the hapless cyclist first up on the stupid sidewalk, then across the intersection at Journal Center to take oneself around the loop back west across to the diversion channel trail.  Traffic was still fairly light so I just continued riding in the slow inside lane on Jefferson, humping like crazy around the more dangerous curves when I could see headlights approaching from the reat.  Still very few cars and none came dangerously close to me, and most changed lanes when passing to allow me "ownership" of the lane I was in.
Finally got up to Balloon Fiesta Park at the north end of Jefferson, where I was rudely reminded of facts I used to know years ago when I commuted this route daily: The city, in its ever-infinite wisdom, keeps the street blocked that directly connects Jefferson to Balloon Fiesta Parkway.  So I only had to ride another hundred yards or so around Honeywell and make a sharp left turn.   Again, the entry to Balloon Fiesta Park and its bike trail was blocked, but this time the gates had just enough gap that I could ride carefully between them.  Then all I had to do was the usual jackknife operation getting across the intersection at Chappel and Osuna to get back on the bike trail.  Albuquerque bike trails are designed for bikes only, not different varieties of people powered vehicles like trikes and recumbents.

Ride Started: 5:28 AM    Ride Ended:  6:39 AM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   13.2   Ending Voltage: 12.9  Lowest:  13.2 (This results from solar-charging the battery during the day, we'll see if it's enough to keep it charged)
Lowest Temp  63 F      Highest Temp:  66 F 
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  8.14
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
   6.5 MPH                            7.1 MPH                   18.2 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
1 hour 15 mins                      1 hour 8 minutes         7  minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment