Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Hauling LUMBER on the trike?


Yeah, those are 8 foot 2 X 4's

Bungee'd on the BOB trailer
These were pictures from yesterday's short ride to the lumber store and back.
We're needing a wider door for our bedroom bathroom, so I'm going to attach these boogers to each side of our old 24" door and sand and repaint and.... eventually.  Good things come to Those who Wait.....
So it was only 1.5 miles to this lumberyard and back, and I thought I'd try and see if I could actually get 2 whole 2 X 4's home on the trike/trailer combo.  It worked, but with a couple of small hiccups.
At first I tied the lumber down with the ends sticking way out back.  I barely made it out of the yard before I heard the sticks dragging on the pavement.  Grumbling some nasty comments, I pulled to the curb and was dismayed to find the lopsided lumber load had actually disconnected the trailer from the trike on one side, and had actually bent the steel hitches such that they were unusable.  Thank goodness I carry various and sundry tools with me:  The Vise-Grips came in handy this time.  I was able to bend the steel mounts back into shape with them, reattach the trailer, and re-load the lumber more balanced wise, so the torques and turns no longer tried to wrench the trailer from its mounts.
This time I got the "huge load" home fine and dandy.
That was the second day of riding in the mist just to the lumberyard and back.  A walker going around the village square queried me about riding in such weather and I told him "If I get too picky about perfect weather, around here I'd miss too many days of riding".  He agreed and said he planned to get back on HIS bike, as soon as the weather got better.
Today I was again surprised by our midwest weather:  It was soupy, with fog so thick and moist it was like rain this morning and we could barely see a few feet.  Sometime after noon, the sun burned through and blue sky appeared and it quickly warmed from low 50's to the SEVENTIES.  Wonderful stuff, allowing a few more miles for a wonderful exercise ride.
Lots of friendly waves from motorists and folks out in their yards, all happy to see a nice spring day.

Ride Started:   3:20 PM      Ride Ended:  4:09 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.3  Ending Battery Voltage:  13.0   Lowest Voltage:  12.9
Beginning Blood Glucose: 172     Ending BG: 71
Lowest Temp:  60 F    Highest Temp:    68 F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:   5.60
Distance Walked: .6 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  8.1 
MPH                             8.3 MPH               28.8 MPH (Found a Long Downhill!)
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped  Time
 41 minutes
                         40 minutes           1 minute

No comments:

Post a Comment