Sunday, March 22, 2020

Longer Days - Still Cold

Saturday GPS Tracking

I almost stayed safely home Saturday, yesterday, but Sweet Jacque encouraged me to take at least a short ride before it got too late.
Again and again we awake to cold soggy rains, continuing most of the day, and occasionally in the early to late afternoon it dries up a  bit, like today, and the skies clear.
It started out in the low 40's and upper 30's this morning but was surprisingly close to upper 60's after the sun had been peeking through the sky for a while.
Thus I wore only my thin bike-yellow windbreaker, half expecting to get overheated.  Didn't Happen.
I noticed it was surprisingly cold when I took off, with a fairly normal southbound breeze coming out of the north.  Since I was headed east and mostly north at first, I was fighting the chill breeze.  I wished I had added another layer but didn't want  to lose time by going back for it.
Cranking faster to warm up a bit, I wandered on.
In spite of the chill, it was again a great feeling to be out meandering under my own steam.
I took a few detours along unfamiliar streets trying to add a few miles with little success.  Fun anyway.
Always interesting to see people's reactions to seeing me on the streets in my contraption.  Adults will often try to ignore me, with some returning a wave and even fewer returning a verbal greeting.
Young kids, on the other hand, usually cry aloud when they spot me, either asking their reluctant parents "WHAT is THAT thing, Mommy?",  or more often "WOW!"  This time my best greeting was from a younger girl who screamed at me as I approached "I WANT that !!"  I responded with my usual big wave of the hand and pedaled onward.
As I passed the northern end of my usual route - the main overpass leading to WalMart on the other side of Route 60 - I thought about stopping over to see if they yet had any toilet paper in stock.
We have not bought any since the Great Crash of 2020 began, but still have several on hand, so I kept going and put off checking for TP for another day.  Supposedly they have begun allowing "Senior Citizens" to come in an hour early one or two days a week for get-ahead-of-the-crowds shopping, so since we ARE in that age bracket maybe we can try it out next week.
Since the days ARE getting longer, I got home 40 or so minutes before sundown in spite of my starting after 5 PM.  Nice.

Ride Started:   5:03 PM      Ride Ended:  6:00 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.2  Ending Battery Voltage:  12.9   Lowest Voltage:  12.9
Beginning Blood Glucose:   68     Ending BG: 96
Lowest Temp:  50 F    Highest Temp:    57 F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:   7.0
Distance Walked: .6 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  7.0 
MPH                             8.5 MPH               23.4 MPH 
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped  Time
 59 minutes
                         49 minutes           10 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment