Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Riding for CoronaVirus

Today's Tracking via GPS, APRS, and Ham Radio

Been making slow but good progress on Jacque's kitchen remodeling.  I've ridden the trike a couple of times without bragging about it, sadly.
The spring weather here in Missouri, like most everywhere, is spotty and unpredictable.  Rain and more rain.  Drizzly fog much of the day when it ISN'T raining.  The biggest reason MO is so green is because it gets so much /RAIN.  Our basement sump pump chugs on and off day and night, almost all the time.  It takes several "Dry" days of no rain or drippy fog for the basement to dry up enough to allow the pump to stay silent for more than a few minutes at a time.
Sunday was a lovely sunny day with no noticeable rain at all, and I thought sure I was going to get in at least a late afternoon ride - but it didn't materialize.  Oh Well.
Monday, yesterday, the soggy fog lifted later in the day and I COULD have gone for an enjoyable ride but I was trying to make headway on the kitchen.  Interestingly, I ran low on Blood Glucose (a numbing 45 if I remember correctly) just about as bad as I often encounter pedaling around on the trike.  And all I was doing was humping lumber and electrical wiring back and forth between the garage and the kitchen.  So I guess I was getting exercise, just not the most enjoyable kind with screaming speeds of 15 MPH wind in my face.
Jacque is too sweet to me.  Today I was again making debris putting the new false wall in the kitchen and around 3:00 PM she interrupted me by saying "You probably should go for a trike ride".
I didn't immediately quit and saddle up the trike, but after about another hour I did indeed doodle off on the trike.
I had some semi legitimate tasks to accomplish:  I wanted to take a hardware item back for a refund at Ace Hardware, which is about 100 yards due north of Walmart, the northernmost civilized edge of the metropolis of Mountain Grove.  I also had to buy a replacement PVC 5" plug which I had destroyed while digging my drainage ditch behind the house.  I suddenly clunked on something solid yet with a hollow echo, several inches below the surface of the ground, and when I more carefully removed the muck around it - it turned out to be a PVC cleanout for the house sewer.  I couldn't see how or where it connected to the house but I had Jacque flush a commode for me while I listened out at the pipe and sure enough it was indeed connected to our sewer.  No sewage visible, thankfully, but the noise was definitely authentic.
Thus my legit excuses for riding were there in the open.  Mountain Grove Lumber Supply is just across the tracks and around the corner, so that visit didn't take too long to pick up the sewer cap.
Thence onward and upward for the slightly uphill climb northward to US-60 and Ace Hardware just on the other side of Walmart.  I got my refund with little delay and then spent almost half an hour rummaging through the store looking for odds and ends.  I found plenty, and with some surprise I realized just how massive this hardware store is and how much GOOD STUFF they have, and most of it reasonably priced compared to other options in town.  I picked up a couple items and began the trek homeward.
I was also surprised that in spite of the sunny day, the mild breeze was COLD, especially as I rode northward facing into it.  I soon had to stop and put on my cyclist-yellow windbreaker which helped a lot.  By the time I'd gotten to Ace I had warmed up a bit, and the ride home was going to be with the breeze at my back, so I put the windbreaker back in its saddlebag and did fine the rest of the way.

All our local restaurants are closed due to coronavirus panic, but Walmart stays open and Ace Hardware and all the local lumber stores are still open, as are the Casey's  and other 7-11 stores.
It's all very odd to see the warning signs on doors of stores still open:  STAY 6 FEET AWAY, with blue tape on the floor marking where we're supposed to stand when dealing with the checkout clerks.
We stay 6 feet away, most of the time, but have to touch the card reader buttons, use the store pen to sign the receipt, and often even  BRUSH HANDS when the clerk hands us our bag of stuff and/or the receipt.
So most of the stores WE patronize are still open, for which we give thanks.  We've ordered take-out and home delivery of food services, including Pizza of course, mostly in hopes of trying to help them stay in business so we'll someday have restaurants to enjoy eating at again.

Ride Started:   3:58 PM      Ride Ended:  5:28 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.2  Ending Battery Voltage:  13.0   Lowest Voltage:  12.9
Beginning Blood Glucose: 94     Ending BG: 62
Lowest Temp:  60 F    Highest Temp:    71 F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:   5.60
Distance Walked: .6 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  4.3 
MPH                             7.3 MPH               23.4 MPH 
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped  Time
 1 hour 30 mins
                     53 minutes           37 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment