Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Bummer. Getting Old Sucks

The usual trip-tracking plot, battery evidently dying

I rode to work late this morning due to my annual eye exam which was scheduled at 8:00 AM.
The verdict for years now has invariably been:"  In Spite of your Diabetes, I Can't Find Anything Wrong wth Your Eyes!!
...Not this time.  The verdict of "Cataracts" was not at all what I expected or wanted to hear.  But now I think about it, it is not that much of a surprise.  For months before LAST year's exam I noticed my eyesight was changing, and dramatically:  My left eye was losing the ability to see at a distance without glasses and my right eye was losing the ability to see up close without reading glasses.  The eye exam then resulted in "NO PROBLEMS FOUND!"  - Which was pleasant to hear, but the prescribed glasses lasted only a few months before they no longer worked with my still changing visual acuity, and they were EXPENSIVE of course.
So in spite of the optometrist finding nothing wrong, the eyeballs were still in a state of flux.  In the last few months I've noticed increasing blurriness.  So in spite of being terribly disappointed at the news, I realize it's surely been coming on.  The Doc claims most diabetics develop cataracts at a much earlier age than I have.
I go back in 6 months to get another update, to get a better guess at when my left eye (the really bad one currently) will require the eventual surgery.
I've not enjoyed the day much since then.... the dilating solution he put in my eyes always seems to take forever to wear off so that everything isn't washed out and bleary looking and providing a faint headache as a result, in spite of wearing my bike-safety-sungoggles.
The ride home quickly turned into a sundown/dark ride, very nice and just cooling enough to be very pleasant.
Pre-Home Ride BG: 96            Post-Ride BG:  52 (! - Ate an Oatmeal Bar)
Beginning Battery Voltage: 12.7       Ending Voltage: 10.9 (Gel Cell Dead, Now on AA NiCad pack) 
Evening Stats from the GPS:        Total Miles:   7.46
Overall average speed         Moving Avg       Max Speed
09.5. Mph                            11.5 mph            22.1 mph
Total Trip time                 Moving Time          Stopped Time
46:59 mins                       38:57 mins             08 mins 2 secs


No comments:

Post a Comment