Monday, September 19, 2011

Monday Madness

Same old route, getting itchy for longer rides
Madness is the very idea of getting up and going to work on a Monday.
Actually, since I enjoy my work, I am grateful for full time employment.  But there are SO many other things I need to do that I don't have time for.
This weekend:  No weddings, so I thought I'd empty out our multiple garbage cans and make a run to the Tijeras Trash Transfer Station, then spend most of the rest of the day cutting and hauling firewood.  It's getting colder and we don't have a week's worth of wood available.  Trouble is, Saturday morning Jacque made the unforgivable mistake of opening the cabinet door under the kitchen sink and discovering it was all wet from a drain leak.  Further investigation with me laying on my back with a headlamp and icky water dripping in my face, like a twenties coal miner in a "worm hole", betrayed the problem:  The garbage disposal had worn holes in the side of the casting and was spewing "stuff" out the side when under pressure.  What's with this nonsense?  The stupid disposal is not that old..... only, say, 15 years.  BAH
So I loaded up the trailer with trash bags and took the old disposal and we took off for  a little trip to transfer some trash to the transfer station and transfer some wealth to the local hardware store..  Davis hardware in Cedar Crest is one of the best hardware stores I've ever seen, and I'm of course a hardware store addict.  They have stuff you cannot get at the Big Boxx Stores in Albuquerque.  Their biggest problem is they don't stay open enough for working stiffs to shop there.  At any rate, they had an almost exact replacement disposal for a hundred smackers which we gladly paid and took it home with us.  I'm guessing we could have "saved" almost half that price had we driven in to Albuquerque for the Big Boxx Store Experience.... but that would have used up even more of our precious Saturday time and a half a tank of $3.30-something gas, which also reduces the appeal of "just running into Albuquerque".
I also finished the interior insulation on Jacque's new sewing room and grumped and groaned as I installed the first batt of insulation in the floor joists under the room, with sharp rocks and what-not poking me in the knees and butte as I struggled to get the nasty stuff to stay up long enough to get it stapled in.  Hopefully we can complete this "couple of months" construction project now looming on to a year before Christmas, so I can get going on something else.... like workshop for ME, garage or shelter of some kind for the RV and carritos, woodshed to keep the firewood (and nestling critters therein) out of the weather (and findable when the snow starts piling up!)  .... Just another couple of weekends' worth of effort, don'tcha know.
Didn't do anything yesterday (Sunday) except go to Church, take a nap, and walk the doggies, in that order.
As usual, this Monday, while less than attractive as a starting point for work, was a great morning for bike riding even though it's getting so cool pretty soon I'm going to have to dig out the itchy wooly underwear.  Bring It ON.
Typical encounter with wide eyed kiddos on their way to school:

Awakening BG: 81            Post-Ride BG:  146
Beginning Battery Voltage: 12.7       Ending Voltage: 12.7 
Morning Stats from the GPS:        Total Miles:   7.37
Overall average speed         Moving Avg       Max Speed
10.3. Mph                          11.3 mph             24.8 mph
Total Trip time                 Moving Time          Stopped Time
42:59 mins                      39:17 mins              3 mins 42 secs

I was saddened to find the library at San Mateo and Comanche (Erna Fergusson) closed for "refurbishing".
The sign says "Will Open Again in the Spring" -
The next library I found over on Juan Tabo was dark and closed.  After all, it was after 7 PM.  I have faint memories of libraries being open later than that.... BAH

Pre-Home Ride BG: unk            Post-Ride BG:  62
Beginning Battery Voltage: 12.7       Ending Voltage: 12.6 
Evening Stats from the GPS:        Total Miles:   7.49
Overall average speed         Moving Avg       Max Speed
11.0. Mph                          11.8 mph            22.4 mph
Total Trip time                 Moving Time          Stopped Time
40:59 mins                      38:02 mins              2 mins 57 secs

1 comment: