Thursday, September 8, 2011

Thursday Thirty-Two Miles and COLD

Aiming the Beam into the Canyon seemed to help tracking...
Jacque and I will be attending the Temple again this evening with Sarah and Justin, so I rode the recumbent all the way to work again today.  It was 46 degrees on the outside thermometer this morning and FELT uncomfortably cold, so I wore my windbreaker jacket over my flaming yellow_green BikeABQ shirt for the first few miles.  Normally I would get overheated by the time I got a mile or two up the paved road (Frost Road) but I didn't get overheated this time until I was halfway up the "Killer Hill"just south of the NM-14/Frost Road intersection.  I go so slow climbing the hill just south of the Triangle Intersection (Shell Station) that I normally ride the ragged weed/rock/pothole - strewn "bike path" paralleling N-14 until I top the hill and then leap across 4 lanes of traffic and ride the much smoother N-14 pavement in the right lane all the way to Tijeras, go under the I-40 underpass into Tijeras Village, and then ride old Rout 66 through the canyon from Tijeras to Albuquerque.  Since N-14 is smooth and downhill from that point to Tijeras, I usually hit my fastest speeds there, just coasting along much of the way down.  Watching the rear view mirrors on my handlebar and helmet all the way down, looking out for inattentive drivers who may be drinking their coffee instead of watching the road in front of them..... I've had no experiences yet of anyone not seeing me, but have had several near-brushes with hotshots who seem to like to buzz cyclists.  I find my worst enemies on the road are (1) Albuquerque city buses, (2) pickups pulling trailers (who understandably are afraid to try changing lanes for a mere cyclist), (3) Save-The-World cars such as the Honda Insight and Toyota Prius and the occasional Mercedes -built "Smart Car", and (4) RV,s especially those pulling trailers or toad cars.
RV'ers are self explanatory since most are untrained (and at today's fuel prices, have even less experience driving their monsters).  I suspect the hybrid owners feel since they are driving smaller cars that they don't need to give cyclists much clearance.  Too bad they don't seem to know the "thrill" of being passed close-up by ANY vehicle weighing over a ton.
At the bottom of the hill approaching Tijeras I smoked through the stoplight underneath I-40 onto Rt. 66 at about 37 MPH.  Thankfully the stoplight stayed green for me...
I finally took off the windbreaker and stowed it just outside the Albuquerque City Limits when I rode out of the shade of the canyon into the morning's sunlight where it instantly warms up several degrees.
Awakening BG: 185(!)            Post-Ride BG: 68 
Beginning Battery Voltage: 12.5       Ending Voltage: 12.2 (Needing a Recharge obviously!)
Morning Stats from the GPS:        Total Miles:   31.75
Overall average speed         Moving Avg       Max Speed
11.7. Mph                          12.6 mph            39.7 mph
Total Trip time                 Moving Time          Stopped Time
2 hours 43 mins               2 hours 30 mins     12 mins 21 secs

No comments:

Post a Comment