Friday, March 22, 2019

Double Whammy: Tandem Ride

Jacque had a great idea today:  She suddenly had a prescription filled at our local WalMart.  She suggested we take the tandem together to pick up her meds.
We've ridden the tandem a couple times since we moved to Missouri, and it had issues.  The left brake was sticky and hard to activate and release.  So I worked on it a couple hours in order to have a safer less problematic ride.
I tried the usual WD-40 injection cure-all treatment for the left brake cable and disc caliper pivot points, but got only little improvement.  I decided to really dig deep enough to figure out what was hanging things up by completely taking the cable assembly apart.  I turned out to be the cable and sleeve itself.  It was corroded and the friction sleeve on one end was bent and thus binding the cable inside from free movement.  I dug out my new-bike-parts stash from the RV and - though I had 3 spare cable assemblies on hand - none were short enough to suit this job.  Luckily I invested in a couple of cable cutters 2 years ago when I was repairing missionary bikes for the New Mexico Albuquerque Mission of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  My old cable seemed too short for the turning radius of the steering on the trike, stretching the cable to max tautness and kinking it.  Of course, sitting out  in the weather for a year at the kids' place near Edgewood didn't help any either.
The replacement cables have a different termination on each end so it can be used with either a shifter or brake assembly.  Of course I cut the wrong end off on my first attempt and had to cut and assemble another one in correct fashion to get it going.  Finally I got it all back together again and turned my attention to the non-working APRS tracker assembly that sends my GPS data to the Internet so I and others can view the trip either live or afterwards.  Including You, Dear Reader.
I checked the radio and interface for 12 Volt power and that seemed to be where it was supposed to.
After powering it up and waiting to see if it would transmit any beacons or positions, and seeing nothing, I gave up.  Decided to ride without it, but a last minute peek revealed a broken tiny black wire pulled loose and hanging.  So that needs soldering and rearranging, but maybe later.  We decided to complete a ride today and worry about electronic repairs later.
Riding the tandem Tandem Terratrike is more labor-intensive - for both of us - than either of us riding solo on our single seaters.  But it's fun, and a way to stay together - literally - while riding, and so it goes.  Or Went. 
With several stops for rest and foot rubbing, we made it both directions.  Ours seem to be the only recumbent trikes in the area, and the tandem is especially eye-catching.  Lots of waves and "Oooh, Look at the Dog!"  and "Whoa, there's TWO doggies in back!"
Again, no one crowded or bothered us in any way.  Great riding, and tiring.  Resulting again in lower blood sugar.

Ride Started:  12:28 PM        Ride Ended:  2:17 PM
Beginning Blood Glucose:  158 Ending BG:  62
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  5.45
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
   2.7   MPH                           4.6
   MPH            16.9 MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped Time
1 hour 59 mins                    1 hour 11 mins      48 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment