Friday, March 15, 2019

The Sun Came Out, So I Did Too

Sunny Days are not as common here in Missouri as they are in New Mexico.  Thus, when one occurs with a temperature above freezing, I try my best to take advantage of it.  Thus another ride today.  Not to go to the Post Office.  Not to shop at WalMart.  No visit to the Hardware Stores.  Just a ride to huff and puff a few miles.
I first pedaled down to Business Route 60, the main street going east and west through this burg, then rode east out toward the east end of town where the town bypass meets back up to the main divided highway of Route 60.
I keep taking this route with the same thought of going clear to the eastern edge of Mountain Grove, but as soon as I start climbing the low hill leading out of town I realize the nice wide shoulder disappears entirely.  The divided highway of Route 60, with all its high speed traffic, has nice wide shoulders, but the easternmost few miles of the business route have no shoulder.  I have yet to encounter an aggressive or inattentive driver, but folks tend to push 'er up to 60+ MPH on the edges of town and with no shoulder I just plain don't want to take the risk.
So I again turned around, turned north on Hovis, and rode up to the frontage road paralleling
the Big Highway and rode west across 95 to Oakland, around some previously unexplored side streets and back around, making a bit over 5 miles this time.
I'm certainly not "back up to speed" yet, as my legs were about to collapse with even this few miles logged on them.  I discovered a previously unknown park (Ina Crandall) and Mountain Grove (outdoor) swimming pool.  The pool is of course closed for the winter, but it's nice to know it's there.
As aforementioned, my legs were getting a bit rubbery for the last couple miles of the loop around the neighborhood, and I started having trouble keeping my feet on the pedals.  I've not experienced this before, but when I checked my blood glucose (BG) when I got home I realized my blood sugar was so low (46) as to contribute to my  dopiness.  This even after consuming 29 carbs of a breakfast bar out of my pannier about halfway through the ride.

Ride Started:  3:20 PM    Ride Ended:  4.42 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   13.0 Ending Voltage: 12.8  Lowest:  12.8
Beginning Blood Glucose:  72     Ending BG:  46

Lowest Temp  44 F     Highest Temp: 46 F   
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  5.53
Distance Walked: .3 
mile
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed  
4.02 
MPH                                   5.8 MPH                    18.7 MPH 
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time 
1 hour 22 
mins                       57  minutes               24  minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment