Saturday, March 16, 2019

We Won't Go This Way Again

Today's Over-Done Tracking via GPS and Ham Radio

Yesterday's ride, while tiring, was so motivational that I just had to try again today.
My unusual reasoning was "If I can do 7.7 miles, then surely I can do 10 miles...." You get my drift, dear reader.
I have often eyed the wide shoulder up on the main east-west Route 60 highway, and often thought it would be fun to ride along that route sometime.  Today was the time, methought, and it was a simple idea:  Ride from home out to the west-most exit/on-ramp for Mountain Grove, thence east along 60 to the eastern-most exit for Mountain Grove and back home again on the "Business 60" street / road through town.  Just guessing without calculating, I thought it might come out close to 10 miles.
It turned out to be a tad more than 13 miles, which while unimpressive, was a bit overboard for a gradual increase in mileage goals.  Very Very Tired is Me.
As is my current normality, I stopped multiple times to rest;  to get up and walk around to get different movements to help the agony in the feet, and to take off the shoes and massage my poor pinkies for some temporary relief.  I carried a single 16-ounce water bottle that I almost used completely before I got home.  I also popped a couple more Excedrin along the way, of which I keep a small stash in the pannier.
The most formidable problem was the eastern end of "Business Route 60".  There are 2 other exits for Mountain Grove, and both have decent shoulders.  Not so the eastern exit.  I had known about the lack of shoulder on that end of town, but I thought it might be only a mile or so that could be navigated.  It actually is SEVERAL miles, with long hills to climb along the way.  I slogged along anyway, since it was either that or call for Jacque to come rescue me.  Thankfully thus far I'm able to do the "Guy Thing" and do it myself.... sorta.  Without Jacque's support, of course, I could do little if any of what I'm doing.  Anyway, even though all passing drivers gave me plenty of room, in spite of the sun shining in their faces at this hour, I will henceforth avoid the east stretch of "Business 60".
Each crest of the business 60 eastern hills were met with anticipation that I was near the end of the no-shoulder-torture section.... but as usual, the road appears entirely differently from the seat of a bike than through the windshield of a hundred-horsepower dinosaur-powered vehicle.
I am QUITE tired tonight, while sitting with my feet in the bubbly foot-bath. 
Funny thing is:  Yes, my feet are tired and sore.... but no more - and possibly less - than after loafing around the house all day.
Oh, to be 20 again.... or even 40.... or even 60......  BAH.  I am paying dearly for all the teasing and harassment and unkind thoughts I have entertained in my younger years for the "Old Folks".  Now I AM one.  What goes around comes around......

Ride Started:  3:56 PM    Ride Ended:  6:40 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   13.0 Ending Voltage: 12.8 Lowest:  12.8
Beginning Blood Glucose:  160   Ending BG:  118
Lowest Temp  53 F     Highest Temp: 75 F   
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles: 13.42
Distance Walked: 1+ miles
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed  
 4.9 MPH                                   6.1 MPH                    22.7 MPH 
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time 
2 hours 44 mins                      2 hours 11  mins               33  minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment