Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Running Around Town

Today's Tracking via GPS and Ham Radio

So, I was working on the Tandem Recumbent Terratrike today.  The front chain has an idler pulley that hasn't been working properly and repeatedly jumps the chain loose.  I am replacing the small idler cog wheel with a rimmed spool idler wheel that hopefully will keep the chain contained and avoid all the grinding and rattling.
Of course, the new idler has a different spindle size as well as a different outer diameter.  The outer diameter is no problem  but I need a different bolt and sleeve to mount the idler on.
I first rode over to our closest hardware store - which didn't have the stuff I needed.  So I rode back home for a short rest break before riding the 3 miles across the big US-60 highway to our local Ace Hardware store.  The only thing I could think of for a spindle spacer was to use a piece of copper tubing cut to size.  Sure enough, Ace had what I needed, as well as a shouldered screw to use as a new spindle.
Youngest Grandson Jonathan Photo No Extra Charge

My feet, as usual, were complaining through most of the ride.  The pain waxes and wanes but I seem to be able to tolerate it better the more I ride.  Several rest stops and foot-rubbings helped me - as usual.
Per the tracker problem with the Tandem Terratrike I replaced the GPS unit and now it seems to work.  We'll see how well the next time Jacque and I take it for a ride.

Ride Started:  10:42 AM        Ride Ended:  1:53 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  12.9  Ending Battery Voltage:  12.9 Lowest Voltage:  12.9
Beginning Blood Glucose:  250 Ending BG:  174
Lowest Temp:  50 F    Highest Temp:  71 F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  6.12
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
   3.2   MPH                           5.8   MPH            
17.6 MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped Time
1 hour 55 mins                     1 hour 3
 mins          52 minutes

Post Script:
I rode AGAIN, this time for an around-the-block test ride on the Tandem Terratrike.  Test riding to see if the new GPS works properly allowing for successful Position Beaconing and if the new idler pulley works.  Both successful.  
Jacque had left for her Eastern Star meeting in Mansfield so the stoker seat was empty, but Tink and Lilly gladly rode in the rear basket.
Next Tandem ride will be more fun for all.... guaranteed.
Less-Than-a-Mile Tandem Track

1 comment:

  1. Did Jonathan come to see you, or did you inherit the picture through the internet or something?

    ReplyDelete