Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Back-To-School Riding

Today's Intrepid Tracking

I haven't ridden in several days, due to prioritizing work on the house, for both bathroom and kitchen.
The whole house needs upkeep and renovation in one way or another.  It's the price we pay for buying a house we could "afford", for cash, without a mortgage.  This Ole House is a-gettin' weary, this ole house is a-gettin' old.  I need to look up that old song and sing it out loud to help ease the pain when Jacque and/or I are on our knees getting all stinky and slimy and achy-breaky, as another song goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WhLhF12TBE


Anyways, I decided I need to try at least a short ride as often as possible since I get so stiff and sore from house-wrangling.  So I took off on another trip today.
I at first rode out to our local airport on Clouse Street and then south on Bell Crossing, thinking I was following a nice route I'd done before.  It wasn't long before I realized I was about to duplicate another LESS desirable route unless I turned around.  I recognized Sunny Slope Road for its absence of pavement.  Continuing further on Bell Crossing would take me even further along than the few miles I wanted to ride, so I turned around and went back.
On these back roads, passing drivers invariably give me a wide berth, but many seem t not slow down at all when they roar by me.  I find myself torn between angst about their speed or thanks for their getting around me in a flash, thus narrowing the time in the oncoming lane.
Then there are those who slow to a crawl behind me, refusing to pass at all, which often makes me feel guilty enough to pull over to the side, off the road, and stop, thus allowing the polite slowpokes to get around me before I resume hogging the roadway.
Big trucks and RV's always get this treatment from me, since I know how difficult it is to find a wide enough gap in oncoming traffic to get around anything, even a slow old cyclist.
Speaking of road manners, yesterday Jacque and I rode the Terratrike Tandem over to the Senior Center and back for noonday lunch.  On the way back home, a car actually pulled up in the oncoming lane as we approached the city center square, leading me to think "What jerks, wanting to get around us that bad right here in downtown where all traffic is at a stall anyway!"  But the passenger had rolled his window down and asked us politely if he could take a picture of us.  No offense intended...
What's the old saying about taking offense when none is offered?  NEVER MIND...
The "Back-to-School" title has little relation to school, actually, even though local schools do start with their first day tomorrow.  We have been assigned as Early Morning Seminary team teachers, so tomorrow we start waking up at 5-ish so we can "Stand and Deliver" at the appointed late hour of 6:30 AM.  We have substituted for this group of Church students before, and they are a great bunch.  Thus we actually look forward to this assignment, even though it means no more sleeping in on weekdays....
But it should not prevent me from trike-riding, since I never get started early in the mornings anyway...
I like to leave the trike outside of the garage on nice days, in case another excuse for riding presents itself.  Hopefully it can be seen in the shadows of this picture:

Ride Started:  10:03 AM      Ride Ended:  11:41 AM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.9  Ending Battery Voltage:  13.0 Lowest Voltage:  12.5
Beginning Blood Glucose:  153      Ending BG: 117
Lowest Temp:  71 F    Highest Temp:  84 F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  8.32
Distance Walked: 1/2 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  5.1   MPH                           7.1  MPH              24.8 
MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped  Time
 1 hour 37
 mins                   1 hour 10 mins     27 minutes
(Keep in mind the "Max Speeds" displayed on these readings are COASTING, downhill, with a tail-wind.  No Way I could pedal at such speeds)

2 comments:

  1. Nice interesting post! I taught early morning seminary in Alaska for a couple of years. Really enjoyed it (even though it was EARLY)! Keep your spiritual ears open for inspiration, seems to happen frequently while teaching seminary. One time after prayer, I felt to discuss a gospel topic (don't remember what it was, but was not part of the lesson). I spoke about it for a 'few' minutes, then told the class something like, "Now let's consider the lesson." One of the young men spoke up and said, "Yeah, that was the best lesson!", and the rest of the class agreed. I was very surprised to see class time was over! I hadn't even introduced the 'lesson', but the Spirit had guided my comments to present a message the kids (and maybe I) needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice interesting post! I taught early morning seminary in Alaska for a couple of years. Really enjoyed it (even though it was EARLY)! Keep your spiritual ears open for inspiration, seems to happen frequently while teaching seminary. One time after prayer, I felt to discuss a gospel topic (don't remember what it was, but was not part of the lesson). I spoke about it for a 'few' minutes, then told the class something like, "Now let's consider the lesson." One of the young men spoke up and said, "Yeah, that was the best lesson!", and the rest of the class agreed. I was very surprised to see class time was over! I hadn't even introduced the 'lesson', but the Spirit had guided my comments to present a message the kids (and maybe I) needed.

    ReplyDelete