Saturday, August 31, 2019

And Around And Around

Thursday Trike Track

We are making slow progress rebuilding our master bathroom, but I tire easily, and things seem to go better if I elevate my mood by taking trike rides here and there, so I saddled up a little earlier than usual and got in a few miles.  It was quite a bit cooler than my normal rides, so maybe until fall and winter get here I should make the effort to ride earlier all the time.
Wanting to have additional time for sawdust and paint to get all over me, I didn't try to get in more than a few miles.  The sunscreen plastered on my legs and arms helps the sawdust and paint stick to me better, so it was all for a good cause.
My blood glucose (BG) was a little low (114) before I started, and my legs didn't seem to have as much "steam" as usual.  So, after 3 miles or so I stopped and checked blood sugar and it was now in the 60's:  Pretty much normal for a non diabetic people but low for my situation.  So I dug out my emergency bag of 3 cookies and chowed them down.  One probably would have been a better choice but, having the sandwich bag open and the taste was Oh, So Good, I ate them all.
When I got home my BG was high (195), especially for post-ride.  That's why there are only 3 cookies in each bag.  I can control my appetite better with portion "control".  If there had been more than 3 cookies I'm sure I would have eaten all or most of them.  SIGH
Not much of interest happened on this ride.  Just enjoyment of having the breeze in my face and racing along at such speeds (6.8 MPH??) under my own power.

Ride Started:   8:32 AM      Ride Ended:  9:53 AM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.0  Ending Battery Voltage:  12.9   Lowest Voltage:  12.7
Beginning Blood Glucose:  114      Ending BG: 194
Lowest Temp:  64 F    Highest Temp:  70  F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  6.3
Distance Walked: 1/2 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  4.6 
MPH                              6.8 MPH              20 MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped  Time
 1 hour 22 mins
                   56 minutes           27 minutes

Later in the evening, I found a water bill in the mailbox. Mountain Grove has not yet advanced to online payment status, so I went to the trouble of writing a check and putting it in a stamped envelope.  It was just after 7 PM and the sun was setting.
I dragged the trike out of the garage and rode the short distance of a few blocks to the Post Office to make sure it got into outgoing mail.
As I started for home again, I remembered the Police Station and City Hall were just another block away.  So I rode that small distance to see if they had a deposit slot for bill payments.  Sure enough, they did, right next to a drive-up window, banking style.  So the City is at least up to date for 1960 standards.  I could have saved myself the expense and bother of envelope and stamp and just waited until Monday to ride over and pay the dudes through their high-class payment window.
As I pulled out of the parking lot, cranking hard to cross a small dip in the pavement, something went CLICK and I was unable to pedal further.  It felt like my right crank had somehow bent.  I thought I was doomed, and limped the trike up into another parking area...
As the astute reader may detect, the crank hadn't bent at all;  the entire front boom had twisted inside its clamp.   All I had to do was loosen the clamp, twist the boom back into the proper vertical position, and re-tighten the boom clamp, this time a bit tighter in hopes it won't happen again.  This trip was a bit over one mile out and back.

No comments:

Post a Comment