Saturday, August 3, 2019

Not Popular with Everybody

GPS Track of Today's Ride

Today's Excuse for a Trike Ride was orignally to pick up a couple sets of 30 amp cord plugs and sockets to repair the high-amp cords for our RV.
Walmart should have them, in their RV section, I thought wrongly.
As I wandered fruitlessly about looking for what I wanted, I spotted other items - of course.
One such item I didn't have on my list, but needed, was a new Carbon Monoxide detector for the RV.
The one I just trashed had started beeping continually, no matter inside or outside in fresh air, with brand new batteries installed.  Evidently these gadgets do not last forever.  This one was several years old and had a "Replace Unit By --/--/--" with no dates in the blanks.  So I had trashed it but forgotten to put it on my shopping list.
Advance Warning:  I like Walmart.  I often refer to it as the RV'ers Friend.
Today, however, my purchase attempts make me more than a little suspicious.
I first approached the self-checkout registers.  I was shocked when the register rang up the price of $27.89 for the CO detector that was priced at $14.84 on its shelf.  I cancelled the sale and tried another self-register with the same results.
I again cancelled the register and walked back to the shelf with the price and took a picture:
This time I approached a checkout stand with a live cashier and had her ring it up.  THIS time it rang up at $24-something.  I stopped her and showed her the shelf's advertised price and she called over a supervisor, who told her to charge me the advertised $14.84.
Jacque says this sort of thing is not uncommon.  A lesser price difference I might not have even noticed as I checked out.  Suffice it to say that I plan to watch a bit more carefully with future purchases.
When I came out of Walmart, a fellow was standing near the trike and had the usual several questions about it:
"Is that more comfortable than an upright bike?"
"How do you steer it?"
"How many gears does it have?"
"Is that a police scanner?"
He finally finished his questions and lit up a smoke and I went on my way.
As I approached the last turn toward home, I heard shouts of derision coming from the Baptist Church at the corner.  Unlike the shouts of "Cool!  Nice Trike!" etc., this group of Christian youngsters shouted hoots of derision and mockery for the Old Fart on the Trike. 
It's really  too bad they couldn't realize I don't worry about catcalls.  If I worried what I looked like I'd never leave home.  With or Without a Trike....

Ride Started:  8:17 AM      Ride Ended:  10:32 AM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  14.0  Ending Battery Voltage:  13.0 Lowest Voltage:  12.9
Beginning Blood Glucose:  98      Ending BG: 63
Lowest Temp:  67 F    Highest Temp:  75 F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  6.38
Distance Walked: 1/2 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  3.9   MPH                           6.3  MPH              17.0 
MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped  Time
 1 hour 53
 mins                   1 hour  4 mins        48 minutes

2 comments:

  1. Police scanner? Yep, you better have one of those as fast as you get going on that thing, zipping in and out of traffic. Need something to warn you when you're about to be squashed because of all your lawlessness! 😉😄

    ReplyDelete
  2. Police scanner? Yep, you better have one of those as fast as you get going on that thing, zipping in and out of traffic. Need something to warn you when you're about to be squashed because of all your lawlessness! 😉😄

    ReplyDelete