Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Heat Index Riding

Today's Rambling Ride

To mention that it's been a bit hot here in Misery, er, Missouri, would be to understate things a bit.
On Monday 2 days ago, the outside thermometer reported 100 degrees, which did not account for the high humidity here, which usually means an even higher "heat index".
Yesterday it "only" got into the upper 80's, again not counting the higher heat index.
We don't miss New Mexico's high crime and costs of living, but we do miss the drier air with the associated "comfort index".
Yesterday we rode our Tandem Terratrike to the nearby Senior Center for lunch and, though short, we got overheated enough to call it good for the day.
Tandem Trike Route for the Day
Today we didn't have Early Morning Seminary - since on Wednesdays we have it just before Youth Activities at the Church - so we slept in until about 7:45.  That is, I slept that late, though Jacque got up about an hour earlier to take pity on the critters and feed them.
I wanted to get in a few miles on my Catrike today before it got too hot, and it worked out OK for me in spite of waiting until almost 10 AM to get rolling.
I had thought I might ride the several miles east on Route 60 to see my buddy Ted near Cabool, but as I rounded a few turns I decided it might not be wise to go that distance so late in the day what with the heat.  So I pretty much stuck to one of my tried and true routes around the paved perimeters of town.  I took a small detour north to Wal-Mart to splurge on a 50-cent ice cold canned Pepsi.
I try to ride the outer perimeters of such parking lots in hopes of avoiding the more heavily traveled interior parts of the lot.  As I began my exit this morning, however, a screaming FedEx delivery van smoked past me, seemingly barely missing me.  I just need to remember the lesser-traveled routes are not always totally empty of traffic.
I took a few more small detours on the way home without further incident.  Drivers invariably give me lots of clearance when they pass by, and I'm sure Mr. FedEx would have as well, had he not been trying to make highway speed in a crowded parking lot.

Ride Started:  9:43 AM      Ride Ended:  11:03 AM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.9  Ending Battery Voltage:  12.9   Lowest Voltage:  12.9
Beginning Blood Glucose:  130      Ending BG: 124
Lowest Temp:  71 F    Highest Temp:  84 F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  6.16
Distance Walked: 1/2 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  6.7   MPH                           6.7  MPH              16.7 
MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped  Time
 1 hour 16 min
s                    55 minutes           21 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment