Thursday, August 22, 2019

Rainy Riding

Today's Plotted Route, APRS was on the Blink
(My self-tracker died yesterday and I forgot to muck with it until halfway through today's ride)
APRS/GPS Ham Radio Track after I wiggled the Wires

We awoke today to thunder and lightning on the distant horizon.  Roads were still dry by the time we got to our early morning seminary class, but when class ended, everything was soaked outside, and rain was still coming down vigorously.  It stopped raining as we drove home, and after changing out of my "good" clothes I stepped outside to see if I could devine what the weather was going to do.
The weather app on the phone claimed possible showers but my eyeball personal observation stirred me to go ahead and saddle up for a trike ride.

The streets were still wet but the skies seemed only lightly clouded, and it actually had cooled off a bit, so I was a happy rider.  At first I thought I'd take a known, "safe" route, and be in position to hurry home if it began to rain again.
Everything went mostly fine and dandy, although it occasionally hit me with a very light sprinkle, more of a faint misting than real rain.
As I got a little past my projected halfway point, I noticed a long street to my right that I had previously noticed but not investigated:  West 13th Street.  One reason I hadn't ridden it before was that it ran up a fairly long hill, and my old GPS map did not show any details about it.
For some reason I turned right and chugged up the hill to see if I could see what was on the other side.   Thirteenth actually stretched on for a ways and I kept going. 
It was a long climb to the top of the rise, much of it in the lowest gear set , commonly known as "Grandma Gear".  Then a large dip down hill and back up again.  I worried it might turn into a dead end somewhere out in nowhere and I'd have to turn back.  My trike's GPS is an old Garmin 350 and the internal maps are years old, but when I looked at it closely it showed  a cross road somewhere up ahead that would take me back towards town.  When I finally arrived at the intersection it turned out to be Bush Road.  Interesting because on maps it's spelled Busch Road but on the street signs it's spelled Bush.  Oh Well.  It's a great low traffic route which I enjoyed greatly and plan to use it again.
It led all the way back to Business 60 on the west end of town.  I crossed this main road and rode another block or so to First Street, which led me back toward home. 
Even though it was still cloudy and I had been lightly sprinkled several times, I was high and dry when I got home.
Now, a couple hours later, the skies have largely cleared and the sun has been out for a while.
I'm glad I got in a ride before it got too warm again.

Ride Started:  9:45 AM      Ride Ended:  11:15 AM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.8  Ending Battery Voltage:  12.9   Lowest Voltage:  12.7
Beginning Blood Glucose:  229      Ending BG: 65
Lowest Temp:  71 F    Highest Temp:  75  F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  7.73
Distance Walked: 1/2 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  4.9 
MPH                              7.0 MPH              21.4 MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped  Time
 1 hour 34 min
s                   1 hour 6 mins         27 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment