Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Miles and Miles of String...

Today's Track via GPS and Ham Radio

The weather forecast for today called for rain storms around noon, so I was motivated to get riding before that happened.  My riding weather was rather cool and cloudy, with no real indications of storms a-coming.
As with recent rides, I rode a street and area not ridden before, at least for the first half of the ride.
I frequently encounter things I wish I'd photographed for sharing, and today I got a few shots of what-not.
I had gone maybe a mile or two up West First Street when I rode by this colorful yard:
45 RPM Memories?



I at first thought to myself "Maybe I should borrow one of those and listen to it at home"
Then, of course, it occurred to me "What would I use to play it?"
I think the last turntable I owned was over 20 years ago.  You can listen to most any old song you want on Youtube nowadays , but it woulda been nice to hear one of those old scratchy records again.
Most folks younger than, say 40, likely would not recognize these.  But guys my age used to know girls who had stacks and stacks of these babies.  Most guys I knew didn't collect them but the girls I remember, including my lovely cousins, sure did.  Anyway.
I got a couple of waves, friendly honks, and one open-window "Thumbs UP" from passing motorists.
As I got within a couple miles of home, I spotted something I don't think I've noticed before:

Blue String Lining the Highway?

I at first started to ignore the string, but it kept appearing in my vision as I rolled along.  After the first mile of it I stopped to examine it more closely:
A MILE of STRING?
It was blue polyethylene string, and nothing rubbed off on my fingers, so it must not have been "chalk-line".  I kept riding.
It continued to string me out, as I continued to ride, and my curiosity increased.  Who or what has a spool of string more than a mile long?  Or LOST that much string?
I kept riding and watching, even though the string actually changed lanes a couple of times for hundreds of yards.  I hoped to find and END to the string, maybe to solve my tiny mystery.
Believe it or not, I actually DID find the end, only a block away from home.  This wad of string (with a real END) was plopped in the middle of Highway 95:
After Moving the Wad off the Highway!
 I still didn't and don't know who or what carries that much string.  Gotta be a government vehicle.
Private enterprise surely couldn't suffer such a loss....

Ride Started:  9:47 AM      Ride Ended:  10:56 AM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.9  Ending Battery Voltage:  13.0 Lowest Voltage:  13.0
Beginning Blood Glucose:  113      Ending BG: 92
Lowest Temp:  67 F    Highest Temp:  78 F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  5.85
Distance Walked: 1/2 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  5.3   MPH                           6.6  MPH              25.4 
MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped  Time
 1 hour 6
 mins                     53 mins                 13 minutes

1 comment:

  1. Did they recently repaint lines on the road, or spray a seal coat? Sometimes they use string to guide equipment for such things if old lines and guides have been obliterated by years of traffic and poor maintenance.

    ReplyDelete