Friday, March 25, 2011

Frosty Fingers Friday

The ride back to the car tonight was great.  The weather-guessers were right in that there was a bit of blustery wind but it was not bad at all, at least compared to last Monday, the absolute worst wind day I ever rode.
I again encountered the 4-wheeler Off-Road driver on the bike trail tonight, which is clearly signed "No motorized vehicles allowed".  Which is routinely ignored by several thoughtless folks, and I tried again to get this guy on video, but even if it comes out, his 4-wheeler had no tags or ID on it, so it likely will do him little harm if I publish his picture.

Starting BG:  168       Post-Ride BG:  108 (after large restaurant meal)
Evening Stats from the GPS:                       Total Miles:  7.42
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
09.4  Mph                          10.5 mph             22.3 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
47:34 mins                          42:50 mins            04:44 mins

MERCY, it was COLD this morning, in spite of the beautiful clear sunny sky.  There were at least 2 hot air balloons up above the West Side, and they not only lift better when it's cold, but my daughter Susie (the only one I know who has ridden in a hot air balloon) says it's warm and toasty in the basket under the balloon, so close to the burner which comes on every few minutes to provide more hot air for the balloon to remain aloft with.
But down where I was, 2 feet off the pavement on my recumbent bicycle, my fingers were FREEZING.  I still wear the cold weather ski mittens but haven't used chemical hand warmers inside them for the last couple weeks.  I paid for that big time this morning;  my fingers and thumbs just got bitterly cold and I worried about frostbite.  I think the temperature in Albuq. was a bit below 40F, which doesn't sound that cold, but it sure felt like cold.
Of course, the last mile of my normal 7.4 mile commute is always overheated, but the first 6 miles can be mighty uncomfortable.  Not to worry.  In another couple weeks it will be so warm I'll be wishing for cool mornings again.
Starting BG:  141      Post-Ride BG:   77
Morning Stats from the GPS:                       Total Miles:  7.45
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
09.7  Mph                          11.4 mph             20.7 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
45:55 mins                          39:08 mins            06:47 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment