Thursday, March 31, 2011

"Sport-Cam" Woes

I found (last night) that my dead DV 005 sport-cam miniature toy dinkus sport camera would come to life and sync itself to the host PC if (and ONLY if) the 16 Gig SD Flash card was removed from its slot.  Earlier I had noticed, by viewing the SD contents on the Acer notebook with a SD slot adapter, that there were corrupted video files on the card.  I'd deleted the offending files, then all the video image files, but still the SD card would cause the sport-cam to die and not sync to its host laptop.  This is a fatal item since the cam itself has no viewfinder or internal software etc. with which to view or transfer files in its memory.  When I went to bed my funked out brain popped up a window message:  Try formatting the SD drive.  After all, other types of storage, such as USB thumb drives, get corrupted and occasionally need re-formatting, and I had nothing to lose.  So I copied the existing camera folders from the SD card to a backup folder on the Acer notebook and then hard formatted the SD drive.  Only took a few minutes, and after I re-created the DCIM and 100MEDIA folders on the now empty SD card, the cam now booted and worked as normal WITH the offending SD card locked in place.  So I used it again this morning to capture some useless footage.  I'm still loosely looking through the hours-worth of video to see if anything remotely usable is in the memory so I can put it up here on the blog.
As I rode this morning, the dippy-cam popped out of its mount and laid facing the sky until I got stopped and retrieved it, somehow undamaged and still recording:

My Garmin 350 GPS is also now officially flakey.  If the fold-out antenna is not perfectly aligned in the vertical position, it cannot find satellites and IF it ever locks on any, none of the data  seems to go out on the data line to the radio for transmission to the wide, awaiting world.  Better get busy shopping for another unit on Ebay before this one dies completely or I'll be back to the battery-saving but monochrome, boring Magellan Gold GPS.
Starting BG:  136       Post-Ride BG:   67
Morning Stats from the GPS:                       Total Miles:  7.45
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
08.8  Mph                          10.6 mph             20.0 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
50:46 mins                          42:15 mins            08:31 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment