Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Yesterday's Racial Profiling

Beautiful, balmy evening weather for a wonderful ride back to the car tonight.Several additionalcyclists were in evidence tonight.   I worked until 7 PM because I had some comp time to make up from taking a half day off last week to repair Jacque's Exploder.  It was still very balmy, with a nice faint but cool breeze, just enough to keep me from overheating and it was just one of those great-to-be-alive and fun-to-be-biking evenings.
BG before ride home:  142  (ate snack before riding)
BG after getting back to car: 65
Evening stats from the GPS:    Total Distance Miles:  7.41
Overall average speed     Moving Avg      Max Speed
11.3  Mph                            11.9 mph            22.7 mph
Total Trip time                Moving Time     Stopped Time
  39:23 mins                      37:21 mins          02:02 mins   

'Tis the time of year where you wrap up in layers for a cold morning ride and peel (almost) everything off for the balmy afternoon ride back.  The wind is forecast to get nasty sometime this evening or tomorrow, but we'll ride it out, hopefully.
Forgot to mention yesterday during my noon walk I stopped at the Jefferson and Alameda intersection and punched the pedestrian crosswalk light button and waited for the light to change.  A lowrider with wire wheels came to the still-red light and obviously intended to turn right.  I thought to myself "Better watch this one", and sure enough, as the light changed and I stepped into the intersection, he calmly accelerated as he turned and forced me to jump back out of his way:  Otherwise I'd be dealing with bodily injury or worse now.  What a loser.  I mildly pre-judged him by his ride and as he drove farther away I put my walkie-talkie up to my face as though I was reporting him to the police.  If I had half a wit to spare I would have pulled out the cell phone instead and gotten a shot of his rear bumper and license plate.  I again thought to myself, first, that I wished I'd had a shotgun to mess up his paint job with.  Second, I thanked God I had no weapons available.  That rush of adrenalin when someone barely misses (or dinks)  you would get me in ALL kinds of trouble if I had instant means of retaliation.... Like the hero Michael Douglas in the movie Romancing the Stone:  When some loser confronts him in the jungle he rips a sawed-off shotgun from a quiver on his backpack and instantly "adjusts the attitude" of his attacker.  I've had so many near misses as a pedestrian I'm convinced that walking is much more dangerous than cycling.  And of course the near misses (and worse) on the bicycle are hard on the Christian attitude as well.  I have considered (more than once) the idea of carrying a plastic but good look-alike AR15 or AK47 on the back of the bike just in hopes the bad guys would back off.  But I always talk myself out of such an idea:  If I looked like I was armed, some local wannabee warlord would likely start shooting at me OR rob me to take the gun away.  If the toy weapon was REAL and USEFUL, I'd be too tempted to use it.
BAH

Starting BG:  173      Post-Ride BG:  75
Morning Stats from the GPS:                       Total Miles:  7.89
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
07.8  Mph                          10.7 mph             20.6 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
46:31 mins                          44:18 mins            06:56 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment