Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Half Day Goof-Off

As hoped, it was quite a bit warmer for the ride back to the car tonight. I heard the irritating "poppity-pop" of a motor bike coming up behind me and it turned out to be one of the bicycles with a gas engine mounted on the back wheel, sort of like a chainsaw with wheels.  I really don't get it.  If you don't want the exercise, why not just drive a motorcycle?  He wasn't going very fast - I've seen several but they seem to maybe make 20 MPH or so.  So they're not as dangerous as kids on motorbikes but it's kinda odd to smell the exhaust and see the little puffs of blue 2-cycle smoke on the trail as they go by.
As usual I encountered the usual odd lot of walkers and dog trotters, always guessing which way they will jump when I call out to them.
The last walkers were walking hand in hand, on the WRONG (Left) side of the path.  As I passed them on their right, my irritation was replaced by the enjoyment of seeing their 4-year-old son on a wee bicycle with training wheels.  He was 30 or more feet out in front of Mom & Dad, and instead of whizzing by him I slowed to match his speed and told him as he looked up at me with big eyes:
"That's a really cool bike!  I really like your bike..... Bye"
I don't know what he thought, but it tickled his parents.

BG before ride home:  223   BG after getting home, no snack yet: unk 
Evening stats from the GPS:    Total Distance Miles:  7.43
Overall average speed     Moving Avg      Max Speed
10.2  Mph                            11.8 mph            23.2 mph
Total Trip time                Moving Time     Stopped Time
  43:36 mins                       37:53 mins          05:44 mins 

I had signed up to take the whole day off work today to replace the camshaft sensor in Jacque's Exploder.
However, I started at 8 AM and had it repaired and running by 10 AM.   While I was poking around outside in broad daylight, I checked the air in my bike tires (~40 PSI) added just a bleep of air to them (~45 PSI).
I cleaned up and saddled up and went on in to work, arriving about 1:30 PM.  The aired-up tires ride much harder and thus rattle my brains more when crossing Albuquerque's @@#$#%%&!!! wooden plank surfaced bridges.  Thought I was going to break something.
It's my daughter's birthday today so I am taking her and her fiance to dinner so I won't be able to make up much comp time today.  Hopefully I'll be able to work an hour or two a day over for comp time so I won't have to eat half a vacation day.
Today was clear and beautiful with a blue sky and no clouds but it turned off COOL even though I was riding during mid-day instead of the cooler morning hour.  It was so warm I took off without a jacket of any kind, except my day-glow green vest with reflective stripes.  Thankfully I had a long sleeved shirt on Jacque made for me, so I was able to button up the sleeves to cut down on the cold air refrigerating my arms.  Also hopefully this evening the air will be at least a little warmer so I won't freeze in spite of being coat-less.  I normally don't wear a coat or jacket for the evening ride anyway, normally getting too hot unless it's been REALLY cold all day, which is rare in these parts.  The wind was blowing south, and strongly, and of course I was headed north.  Huff Puff.  Crawl along in lower gears.... BAH
I ordered a "sport camera" a few days ago for recording live shots while I ride around, but it hasn't arrived yet.  I got the extended memory card for it in the inbox yesterday so hopefully it will arrive soon and I can begin playing with my latest toy.

Starting BG:  171      Post-Ride BG:  97
Morning Stats from the GPS:                       Total Miles:  7.43 Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
08.0  Mph                          10.3 mph             19.6 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
55:37 mins                          43:07 mins            12:30 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment