Thursday, March 3, 2011

Love this Global Warming

Several new cyclists and some who rode last year but now returning with the warm weather showed up on the trails tonight.  A slight head and cross wind slowed me down but when you ride all the time you compare everything to the worst days and today was a great day to ride a bike.
When I approached the street crossing at Washington a little blue car accelerated noisily to zoom out in front of me so he wouldn't have to slow down or wait for me to cross.  Nice guy.  NOT
BG before ride home:  109   BG after getting home, no snack yet: 146 
Evening stats from the GPS:    Total Distance Miles:  7.44
Overall average speed     Moving Avg      Max Speed
08.9  Mph                            10.3 mph            20.3 mph
Total Trip time                Moving Time     Stopped Time
  50:21 mins                       43:31 mins          06:50 mins 

Beautiful morning ride today.  It was 39 degrees at HOME (6800 feet elevation) when I got up about 4:40 AM.
By the time I got to the parking spot and on the bike I decided it was warm enough NOT to wear my face mask, and was I glad.  Barely cool enough to even call it cool.  I still had a hand warmer in each mitten, a fleece skull cap under the bike helmet, a next-to-skin thermal turtleneck on the torso, then a thick sweatsuit-like jacket, and the windbreaker on the outside of all that.
I was well overheated before I got very far, and stopped to unzip both jackets.  Another mile and I had to stop and remove the skull cap... really started to get toasty.  By the time I got to work I regretted having ANY cold weather layers on.  Forecasts call for high winds and a cold front to return in the next day or so, but it will have to get a lot colder than 40 degrees before I layer up like this again.  Since this is NM, it gets warm then it gets cold... we can have the weirdest extremes here.  We've had the driest summer on record and the wettest summer on record.... in the same summer.  Same with record breaking cold and heat... in the same month.
Been having trouble keeping the Blood Glucose down to reasonable levels the last couple days.  That's one of the main reasons to ride the bike.... to keep that burned down to acceptable levels.  Sometimes it just doesn't behave the way I think it should.  We had chili soup and a  fried tortilla for dinner last night, and it was probably more than I should have gobbled.
I got one of these "bargain electronics" catalogs yesterday.  I picked it up to throw it in the wood stove and decided to peek inside first and found a few interesting items.  That means this catalog is staying around for at least a few more days.  One of the most promising pages has 2 or 3 "Digital Sport Cameras" that can be used with a head band to take videos and pictures while in motion..... ding ding ding.  Just what I'm currently interested in.  If I had a camera like that on my helmet with an easy way to trigger the shutter, I would get a lot more cool photos of people and oddities I see in  my travels.  And the prices are less than 100 bucks, closer to 50 bucks.  We'll see.....
Awakening BG:  212(!)  Post-Ride BG:  71
Morning Stats from the GPS:                       Total Miles:  7.43
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
09.4  Mph                          11.4 mph             20.7 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
47:29 mins                          39.06 mins            08:23 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment