Wednesday, September 25, 2019

A Tale of Two Rides

Yesterday's Mini Ride

Tuesday was wet and rainy much of the day, so I tried to make progress on upgrading stuff in This Old House while the drops fell outside.  I was able to get the floor rebuilt underneath the kitchen sink and verified that no additional leaking was occurring underneath the house.  That involves a grubby belly crawl to fully investigate, and I'm truly happy to be done with it for a while, until the next disaster, of course.
Along about 5-ish PM, the sun finally came out and lit up the surroundings.
This inspired me to take a quick trike ride, to which my sweet wifey agreed, bless her heart.
I mainly wanted to stretch my aging legs, which were stiff and sore from bending and kneeling under the kitchen sink much of the day.  It worked, and as usual, improved my mood quite nicely.

Ride Started:   5:14 PM      Ride Ended:  6:04 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.7  Ending Battery Voltage:  13.0   Lowest Voltage:  13.0
Beginning Blood Glucose:  88      Ending BG: 53
Lowest Temp:  60 F    Highest Temp:  64  F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  5.97
Distance Walked: 1/2 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  7.2 
MPH                              8.3 MPH              20.1 MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped  Time
 50 minutes
                         43 minutes          7 minutes

Today's Middling Ride

I got going a bit earlier today, after nailing in a final wood strip underneath the kitchen sink so Jacque could paint it while I was out enjoying myself.
A out a mile into the ride, my noisy drive chain got SO dry and noisy I decided to stop and lubricate the derned thing.  I found a shady spot and pulled over.  It took a while to find my almost-empty tube of lube, but at last after searching every nook and cranny of my pannier it appeared and I was able to satisfy the dry chain and it now makes a lot less noise going down the road.
About halfway across town I saw what first appeared to be a clump of leaves in the street.  When I swerved to avoid hitting it, I was surprised that it turned into a gray squirrel, leaping up and scampering directly in front of me, just barely avoiding getting squashed by..... a TRICYCLE.
I had started out with the intention of riding 7+ miles out to Cabool and back to visit one of my church friends.  By the time I got to the on-ramp for Route 60, however, my enthusiasm for a 14+ mile round trip had faded somewhat, plus I'm still always short on time for house remodeling.
I rode on across 60 instead of taking the eastbound on-ramp and went into Walmart to spend some money.
I was low on spray sunblock, a couple needed tools, bike chain lube, and chocolate cookies.  It took longer than I wanted but managed to find it all, eventually. 
After exiting the store, I relaxed on the trike seat while consuming a couple of cookies and a Diet Pepsi to cancel it out, when the very friends I had started out to see near Cabool drove up and parked across from me in the Walmart parking lot.  So I got to see them after all and we had a nice visit.
The ride home was largely uneventful.  The slowly evolving fall weather is cooling things a bit so my feet were quite comfy today.

Ride Started:   10:35 AM      Ride Ended:  12:49 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.8  Ending Battery Voltage:  13.0   Lowest Voltage:  13.0
Beginning Blood Glucose:  151      Ending BG: 116
Lowest Temp:  71 F    Highest Temp:  75  F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  5.40
Distance Walked: 1/2 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  2.4 
MPH                              6.7 MPH              16.7 MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped  Time
 2 hours 14 mins
                  48 minutes          1 hour 26 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment