Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Anybody Seen My PHONE??

Today's Plotted Route - Radio was blinky today

Today started fairly simple:  I loaded the trike one-wheel trailer with a pile of corrugated cardboard we have accumulated over the last month.  Since I hate to throw anything away, preferring to sell or GIVE it away, I took it on the less-than-a-mile trip to the local unmanned cardboard recycler.  I say "unmanned" since in spite of at least monthly deposits from us since moving here in November, there has never been a live soul (or dead?) in or around the facility.
That done, I had two choices:  Return straight home or detour a bit to add a few miles.  It was hot and I was already almost ready to give it up for the day, but I stupidly decided to "rack up a few more miles".  I made it out to the west end of 1st Street, directly across from one of the other recycling facilities in our booming town of 5400+-, S&S Recycling.  I should have hauled the cardboard there, since I wound up there anyway, and they have personnel on duty that probably would have paid me a few quarters for the cardboard.
While I was resting in the shade, shoes off, a large semi rolled up to the opposite corner of the intersection and stopped, and wouldn't continue onward, the driver staring at me out the window.  I thought he must be wanting to turn in my direction and feared he didn't have enough clearance to make the turn without hitting me.  So I slapped on my shoes without latching the velcro, held my helmet in my lap, and quickly made the turn, parking under another shade tree out of the trucker's way.  Instead of turning, he drove straight through the intersection past me, meaning likely he thought "I" was going to make the turn and was only waiting for me to go first.
I started to relax again, when I suddenly realized I couldn't find my Iphone.  I was sure I had been dorking with it when the trucker interrupted me, but try as I might, the phone was nowhere to be found, either on the trike, my baggy attire, or in the small area I'd just been around.  I circled the area again, twice, with no success finding the phone,  By now I was uncertain just when I'd seen the phone last and not sure WHERE I last saw or used it, so I elected to ride back to the cardboard collector in town, again, retracing carefully the route I'd just taken, and watching the roadway for the little bit of black and white constituting my phone.  I especially watched the bumpy areas closely, surmising I may have lost the thing when slamming across one of the many rough spots in the road.
No Luck here at all.   So, AGAIN, I carefully rode back up first street to its end at S&S recycling, a mile or so, still watching in vain for the missing phone.  I wondered if it was worse if someone spotted it:  Would they return it or keep / sell it?  Or if someone might have driven over it, scattering the pieces.  When I finally got back to the offending intersection, I got off the trike and walked around the questionable area, THIS time spotting the phone lying in plain view in the road.
At first it appeared undamaged, but when I tried to activate it, nothing happened.  Black screen.  I thought perhaps the battery had died, but as I poked around I sadly realized it had, indeed, been run over.  The visible damage was slight:  A small pimple in the metal back and (OUCH) a visible crinkled area at the top of the phone's case.
SO, nobody stole it, but now I'm out the cost for a new phone and the aggravation of losing all my data therein.
Such is Life.
The subsequent ride home was uneventful.  SIGH

Ride Started:   10:34 AM      Ride Ended:  12:40 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.0  Ending Battery Voltage:  13.0   Lowest Voltage:  13.0
Beginning Blood Glucose:  126      Ending BG: 157
Lowest Temp:  75 F    Highest Temp:  78  F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  9.65
Distance Walked: 1/2 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  4.2 
MPH                              6.4 MPH              24.7 MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped  Time
 2 hours 16 mins
                 1 hour 30 mins      46 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment