Monday, September 16, 2019

Rambling Here N' There

Saturday Evening Ride

Saturday just before dark I decided to get in a few late miles.  As I rode past our fairgrounds I could hear the roar of hopped-up V8 engines and noticed a line of pickups waiting for their turn at the "Truck Pull", something I'd never witnessed before.  I had seen it in the paper and Jacque had suggested attending it but I hadn't thought I would be much interested.  The barking ROAR of souped up engines with open headers convinced me otherwise.  I called Jacque on the phone and asked her to meet me at the gate with enough cash to get us in to see the event.
For those few (like ME) unaware of what constitutes a "Truck Pull", this one involved dozens of both sparkling shiny racing paint jobs along with rust and beat-up fenders on a variety of 4-wheel drive pickups with HUGE cross-members and hitches on the back.  Some may have been actual cattle or hay-haulers but all were outfitted with hopped up V8 engines.  Some actually still had mufflers of a sort and many had open headers, either poking out the underside of the fenders or standing straight up through holes in the hoods.  The ones with mufflers could be watched without holding my hands over my ears but didn't seem to be lacking much horsepower.  The trucks pull onto a dirt track, one by one, and hitch themselves to a large motor-driven sled that lowered a drag underneath as the sled was jerked at maximum horsepower down the track.  High speeds were definitely not achieved, but the display showing the distance the sled was dragged before the pulling truck spun out or bogged down with no more movement showed who had the best traction, horsepower, and driver.  Great Stuff.  At $10 a pop for each of us,, it was affordable thrills.
The most fun seemed to occur when the "Junior Division" was allowed on the track, with 3 drivers under-age participating:  A 9-year old, a 13-year old, and a 16-year old.  The 9 year old stole the show, driving Grandpa's hopped up Ford truck the farthest in this category:
9-year Old Draggin Wagon
Obviously this was NOT this youngster's first time behind the wheel!  No doubt he must be a farm kid experienced driving tractors and hay balers and.... Grandpa's beefed up 1979-or-so Ford.
This score was barely below the ADULT winning score.   Great Stuff.
The gatekeepers told us the pulling competition would likely go on almost to midnight.  We enjoyed ourselves, but appreciating beddy-time more and more, we left about 8:30 and went to bed with the faint roaring still heard from the fairgrounds in our ears, Jacque following me slowly home behind my trike head and tail lights.

Ride Started:   5:32 PM      Ride Ended:  8:27 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.0  Ending Battery Voltage:  13.0   Lowest Voltage:  13.0
Beginning Blood Glucose:  149      Ending BG: 83
Lowest Temp:  68 F    Highest Temp:  78  F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  5.42
Distance Walked: 1/2 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  4.2 
MPH                              7.3 MPH              20.0 MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped  Time
 1 hour 12 mins
                   41 minutes           31 minutes




Today's Ride Route (power blinkage knocked out our WiFi)

We again started our week by slowly getting up at 5 AM and conducting our early morning Seminary class.  We were home again before 8 AM but crashed and caught a few winks in a futile attempt to make up for early wake up.
Just before noon I dragged myself out of my easy chair and announced I was going for a ride.  Jacque, being very tolerant of my idiosyncrasies, let me do my thing.
it had been noticeably cooler this morning, but by the time I saddled up it was getting warm.  Also - the route I rode turned out to not have very many trees along the way for shade.  I was really hot and tired by the time I found my first shade, and I took advantage of it.  I took a couple more breaks along the way before I got home and enjoyed every one.

Ride Started:   11:22 AM      Ride Ended:  12:34 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.0  Ending Battery Voltage:  12.9   Lowest Voltage:  12.9
Beginning Blood Glucose:  169      Ending BG: 166
Lowest Temp:  75 F    Highest Temp:  88  F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  5.01
Distance Walked: 1/2 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  4.2 
MPH                              7.3 MPH              20.0 MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped  Time
 1 hour 12 mins
                   41 minutes           31 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment