Saturday, September 28, 2019

Farmers Day and Armadillos

Today's Ride Home

Today we took most of the day off and drove to Norwood for their Farmers Day Celebration which is kind of a mix of village fair and local musical talent.  We loaded my Recumbent Catrike into the back of the Ford Exploder so I could ride it home from the event, weather and time permitting.
The music and junk food were great, but getting up 4 days a week at 5:00 AM for Early Morning Seminary takes its toll on my metabolism and I actually slept, in our folding chairs, a half hour or more during the music.

By about 4:00 PM the weather was nice, with a faint breeze and cloudy  but no rain, so I wanted to leave with enough time to ride the trike home before dark.  Jacque decided she would drive home as well, so I unloaded the trike and we both took off.
My GPS/Iphone wanted me to take "Old Route 60" home, set for bicycle routing.  Old Route 60 is indeed a less traveled road, but it also has occasional high speed traffic, NO shoulders, and horrible pot-hole maintenance.  The newer main Highway 60 has wide, SMOOTH, paved shoulders.  The only real hazards are the plentiful slabs of truck tire shreds, lying in frequent fields that endanger trike tires with the fine-as-frog-hair wires that occasionally work their way into providing a leak.
So far I've only experienced one such flat.  The cars and truckers fly by at over 60 MPH but invariably give me wide clearance, almost always swerving to the farthest lane from me and pulling back into the right lane hundreds of yards after they've passed.  Never even had a "Close Encounter".
Thus my trip home was largely uninterrupted except for unusually large numbers of roadkill.
This is one of the several dead armadillos encountered on the road today.  We have seen dozens of these critters dead, but never a live one.  Evidently they are nocturnal, rarely if ever seen in daylight but wadding across roadways after dark in search of insects and other small game for food.
Various other deceased critters were encountered, such as squirrels etc.  Just before I arrived home I came upon a huge, fat, dead raccoon.  SIGH

Ride Started:   4:07 PM      Ride Ended:  5:32 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.0  Ending Battery Voltage:  13.0   Lowest Voltage:  13.0
Beginning Blood Glucose:  101      Ending BG: 86
Lowest Temp:  71 F    Highest Temp:  78  F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  10.06
Distance Walked: 1 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  7.0 
MPH                              7.9 MPH              34 MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped  Time
 1 hour 25 mins
                 1 hour 16 mins       9 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment