Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Home Again Home Again

Today's Around-Town Track
We RV'ed home from Dallas starting yesterday, staying the night in an RV park in Vinita OK.
We only had 180-something miles from there to home so we made it back to Mountain Grove in just a few hours including a stopover at Sams Club in Springfield, of course.
We'd only been home a couple of hours, cooling our heels and rejoicing
I decided I needed to unwind by taking a good ole trike ride, so I saddled up and took off.
Thankfully, we arrived home on a mostly cloudy and cooler day, and the temps weren't that bad even in the late afternoon when I rode.  I had managed to lose the oil filler cap when I added a quart of oil to the engine somewhere along our travels, and I wanted to stop by our local O'Reilly's auto parts store on the way 'round with the trike ride.  I didn't want to do a major miler today so I kept it down to maybe 5 miles.  I had stopped for a shade break and was texting someone on my Iphone when I heard a voice behind me asking "Are You all Right?"  I turned to see a rickety old fellow, probably almost as old as I am, staggering across his yard to check on me.  He couldn't hear very well when I answered his questions, so he got closer and closer.  He kept asking questions and it seemed he still could not hear my answers.  I tried to assure him I was OK and only taking a rest break, and he finally said "That's quite a rig you've got there."  I thanked him for his concern and rode onward.
Coming through the middle of town, while turning a corner, I was passed by a small group of high school joggers.  Yes, Passed.  I made my turn and thought at first I had gotten ahead of them but as I rounded another corner I saw they had actually gotten farther ahead.  I followed them for half a block and thought I'd finally get to zip around them, but as I made my next turn they continued on straight.  I encountered a few other joggers, male and female, but all coming toward me from the other direction, so I had no race encounters with them.
I stopped for another shade / water break, and to check my blood glucose, when a cyclist rode up and wanted to chat.  He was riding an electric-assist bike, with 29 inch wheels, and proudly extolled the value and virtues of electric assist bikes.  I'm still in the curmudgeon mode about electric or any other "motor" on a so-called human powered vehicle, but he assured me he got more exercise and more miles than I because the electric motor helped him get up hills, go farther, etc.  I have read that such claims are largely true, but if I can still pedal myself up hill and down dale, however slow, why  bother with the electric motor?  I grant you in a few more years - if I'm still chugging at all - I may well be bragging about MY electric powered vehicle as well.  But not Today.
I made it over to O'Reilly's, and they had my part, and it even fit when I tried it on the RV when I got home.  Life is SO good sometimes.
Total miles today:  Around 5 or 6.  Didn't capture the data off the GPS before I reset it.  Oh Well.
Temperature ranged from mid 80's to upper 80's.
It was great to unwind on the trike.


























1 comment:

  1. Hello, i think that i saw you visited my weblog
    so i came to “return the favor”.I'm attempting to find things to improve my web site!I
    suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

    ReplyDelete