Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Texas Triking

Frisco Trike Travel Tracking

We RV'ed to Dallas this week for Jacque & Bobbi to attend the 2019 Time Out for Women event.
Once parked with the RV they took off for the event in the towed Ford Exploder and I had my own transportation.... the Catrike.
I used it at first for a couple trips of 200 yards or so to the RV area dumpster to get rid of bags of trash.
On Friday, I rode over to Jacque's son's house nearby for a bite of dinner.  The tracker refuses to separate Friday's data from Saturday's, so from the track it looks like I made multiple trips all in the same day until one clicks on each tracking dot and notes date and time, which is a bother for those having other things to maintain their interest.
Dallas has grown, and keeps growing, by leaps and bounds every time we visit.  There were hundreds of new homes and countless new shopping centers in every direction that we did not recall from our previous visit.  We had a nice visit in spite of my being late because I'd forgotten I needed to feed, water, and walk the doggies before I went anywhere.  To do otherwise would have risked big uckey messes around the RV.  We've been there and done that, and we are much more careful now.  Better to be late for din-din than have stinky poops and pee puddles to clean up.  Don't ask how we know.
Dallas' growth is reflected in its heavy traffic, but the streets were wide and the speeding vehicles all gave me plenty of clearance as they sped along.  On Saturday, I needed some stuff from WalMart, which was only 4-ish miles away, so that was a good excuse for a ride.  Again, the packs of cars and trucks all gave me plenty of room, but I finally decided, about 2 miles into the trip, to exit the pavement and ride up on the wide sidewalk.
I normally hesitate to ride sidewalks, since pedestrians have the right of way, and they often have strange crossings at intersections that are particularly dangerous for human powered vehicles such as mine.  These sidewalks didn't turn out that way:  They were nice and wide, fairly smooth, with manually triggered crossing lights to help me get across roadway intersections, PLUS there was absolutely no other traffic ON the sidewalk. 
I took this flattering selfie while parking in front of Wally World...

I liked that sidewalk ride  so much that I rode the same sidewalk going back to the Hidden Cove RV park.  Again, no walkers or other traffic was encountered.  The only other cyclists I saw were those lazily cruising around the RV park, back and forth to the beach and the water's edge.  Total miles:  Almost nine.  Temperature was wobbling above and around the 100 mark most of the day.  I noted on my weather app that Mountain Grove was around 20 degrees cooler than Dallas while we visited.  Story of our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment