Thursday, April 28, 2011

Gettin' Old and Confused

... So what else is new?  This morning dawned clear and cold and almost wind-less.  Hooray.  I got to my secret parking location and saddled up the bike and took off (with barely enough time to get to work by the witching hour).  After I got maybe a mile into the commute, I couldn't remember for sure if I'd locked my car doors before leaving.  Since every neighborhood in Albuquerque is a high burglary area, I didn't dare hope for the best and just go on to work worry free.... so I turned around and rode back to the car, which of course was safely locked.  Gotta follow my procedure of checking it twice in hopes I won't have so much trouble remembering who I am and what I'm supposed to be doing.... no, no, I mean, whether I locked my car or not.
Since I now didn't have enough time to get to work on time, I racked the bike back up to the car and drove the rest of the distance.
Thus, when noon came around, I was seized upon with the urge to go for a noon bike ride.  I looked out the window:  The flag was hanging straight down, not screaming horizontally as has been the norm for the past few weeks.  Took off on the bike and had a pretty good ride, almost 10 miles.  Burned up some carbs, too... I ate a candy bar before I left, ate my sandwich on the way back, and still felt a bit dazed when I got back.  The Blood Glucose was 65, even after eating the sandwich without an insulin bolus.  Love that exercise, even if my legs do talk to me afterwards.  I rode down to Paseo Del Norte and then west along the Paseo bike trail to the Rio Grande.  It's been over a year since I've ridden this area and it is ROUGH riding.  Lots of unpatched cracks in the pavement, all kinds of ledges and bumps in the bridges going overhead of streets below, places where the public works guys have just ripped out the pavement and left loose chunks instead (very dangerous for any bike to ride over... I rattled and slid through it twice without going down;  not bad).

I found a spare Garmin 350 on Ebay and nailed it with the "buy it NOW" button.  50 bucks including shipping, which isn't bad.  Now that I've ordered a spare the one I currently have will probably give me no further trouble.  I use the 350 since it works with the Argent radio interface cable to feed position data to the internet, plus it's cute.  Not as feature-packed as the newer stuff, but the newer stuff seldom allows output of the GPS data for use with PC maps, radios, and such like.
Beginning BG:  181                              Post-Ride BG:  68
Noontime Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles:  10.11
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
08.6  Mph                          10.0 mph             23.4 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
1 hr,10 mins                          1.00 Hours            10:01 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment