Friday, April 8, 2011

On the Road (Path) Again; Flying Off the Handle

It was great to be back with the wind in my face this morning even though it was about 10 degrees cooler than the last couple days. (I must be too much like my dogs with the wind-in-the-face excitement.)
It seems like no matter how I lash things down, every few days (at least) I lose something off the bike, invariably when I cross one of the city's infamous path-to-sidewalk-to-street junctions  or more often, the teeth-rattler wooden bike bridges which we have too many of.
This morning as I whacka-whacka-whacka'd over the morning's 3rd wooden bridge, the video cam went POP and fluttered down to the bike path as I bounced off the last wooden rung of the bridge, bouncing off my leg as it went.  I immediately got on the brakes and stopped.  This warmer weather brings out many more cyclists and I hoped to get the camera (or remaining pieces) picked up before they got run over by oncoming bicyclists.  There turned out to be only one a couple hundred feet behind me and I was able to retrieve the cam before he got to me .I was again surprised to find the camera itself still intact but it had separated from the plastic spring-saddle-clip, breaking the black plastic zip-tie that held it in place.  I clipped it all back together with a new zip tie out of the rear pannier and went on to work.  The cam still seems to work, surprisingly.  This is the second big tumble it's taken without self destructing.  Pretty amazing for how cheaply it's constructed and how thin the plastic shell is.
Didn't catch any interesting video on it this morning, but it still works.  Go figure.
Starting BG:  123       Post-Ride BG:   111
Morning Stats from the GPS:                       Total Miles:  7.45
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
09.5  Mph                          11.9  mph             22.5 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
46:59 Mins                         37:31 mins            09:28 mins

The ride back to the car this evening was surprisingly cold with VERY stiff headwinds much of the way.
This might be the first time I've ridden so long, around 5 miles, in my low and next-to-lowest gears, although I was still on my largest chain-ring on the front, but the rear derailleur was almost in "Grandma Gear" most of the way.  Even going downhill under the underpasses was a struggle bucking the stiff wind.  My legs are talking to me tonight....
If the video makes it appear like I'm barely moving..... it's for real and for true.  You can easily hear the almost direct-in-my-face wind howling in the audio feed.
 Starting BG: Unk       Back-At-Car arrival BG:  85 
Afternoon Stats from the GPS:                       Total Miles:  7.44
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
07.8  Mph                          08.3 mph             23.4 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
57:11 mins                         53:32 mins            03:39 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment