Thursday, April 7, 2011

Short Work Day

Wednesday was so warm I rode in the morning with regular summer gloves, no skull/ear-protector cap;  it was wonderful.
Jacque called just as I got to work to tell me an old timer named Elmer Robinette was going to have a short graveside service at 2 PM.  I was shocked to learn he had only recently died;  he was 93.  I hadn't heard about him in years and thought he was long gone before now.  (He'd been in a nursing home in T or C).  A computer upgrade at work prevented me from getting much useful work done so I asked for the afternoon off  and rode back to the car.  I got quite woozy just south of Osuna and stopped to eat half a sandwich and was still a bit woozy the rest of the ride back to the car.  Blood sugar was 85 by then, so it must have been pretty faint when I stopped for the snack.  Arrived  at 12:00-ish, drove to Edgewood where I met Jacque, and rode with her the rest of the way to Moriarty where the services occurred.
The wind was howling in Torrance County and we could hardly hear each other over the whining of the wind, but I was glad we went even though it was a last minute decision.  The person who was to give the closing prayer  did not show up so I was invited to offer it which I did.
Starting BG: Unk       Back-At-Car arrival BG:  85 
Afternoon Stats from the GPS:                       Total Miles:  7.46
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
08.6  Mph                          10.5 mph             23.7 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
52:17 mins                         42:29 mins            09:48 mins   

Some more kids squealed loudly when I rode across the street in front of them.... they were 50 or more feet away but howled as I went through the bollards blocking the cross street entry to the bike path in front of them.  I get a lot of this from kids;  it may be I look so silly they think I'm  a clown for their entertainment.  Not far from the truth, I suppose.  A few days ago I got hollered at by a couple guys standing some distance from the bike path;  these were 20- or 30-somethings:  "Hey, Fireman.  FIREMAN....!!!"  I ignored them and continued pedaling.  Because I have electronics on my handlebars I'm a fireman?  My adoring public......
For some reason my APRS ham radio/GPS tracking device reported only one position during the morning ride, leading Jacque to think I was stopped somewhere.  It worked normally on the ride back to the car, without me making any changes to the settings.

No comments:

Post a Comment