Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Springtime Freezing in the Rockies

Yesterday, Tuesday, I had a cardio test scheduled at 8:00 AM.  That, plus the absolutely ugly wind forecast for the day (30-40MPH continuous, 60-70 MPH possible gusts), kept me from riding the bike from the medical clinic to work.  The wind howled all day, and every time I looked out of my work port-hole I could see the tall trees rocking back and forth.  I went for a shortened noon walk and almost lost my hat several times, and it was uncomfortably cold.  So I missed the daily high I get from riding, but was glad I wasn't out fighting the head and cross-winds on the bike.
Well, it was 28 degrees when I awoke this morning, and the house was COLD:  61 degrees inside, which was just a bit too uncomfortable.  Jacque had been suckered by our recent springtime warm weather and rearranged the living room and moved her classic treadle sewing machine snugged up within inches of the now-cold wood stove.  She's been running the propane forced-air heat, but I absolutely HATE the sound of that monster cranking up.  It sounds to me a lot like a big sucking sound of money going down into a black hole.  Thus I moved the sewing machine away a foot or more, partially blocking the hallway, so I could build a fire to take the chill off the house.  When Jacque got up later and saw the welcome glow of the wood-stove, she moved the sewing machine temporarily but totally out of the way... until warmer weather returns.  Which should be about this afternoon.
When I saddled up the bike for the usual ride, it was COLD even in Albuquerque, perhaps 40 degrees or less.  I dug out my cold weather mittens, skull cap, and 2 layers of jacket and windbreaker, and almost wore my face mask.
About this time up drives a guy who parks right next to me, on the side of the car where I have to open the door to get my pannier and backpack and water jug out, and proceeded with the usual "WOW!  What a nice bike!  How does it ride?  Etc, Etc, Etc....."  Assuming, I suppose, that I was just a recreational rider and not LATE FOR WORK.  I cannot bring myself to be short with such people;  after all, if they're interested in my ride I'M interested in THEM.   Finally, he got enough looking and questioning....
It was a cold ride.  Plus the "gentle wind" forecast just didn't make my life any easier as I was humping a cold head-wind for 5 out of the 7 mile commute.  Got to work 5 minutes later than normally allowable and exhausted.  But glad I rode... 2 days off the bike is almost enough to make me "lose my legs" again.
My Garmin 350 GPS couldn't seem to lock for the first part of my commute... finally locked after I powered it off an on again.  I'm worried it may be getting ready to give up the ghost after so many bumpy Albuquerque bike-trail miles.  Thankfully they are not very expensive on Ebay nowadays... Shopping for a backup.
Beginning BG:  187                              Post-Ride BG:  90
Morning Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles:  6:30 (GPS locked late in the ride today)
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
07.9  Mph                          08.2 mph             21.6 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
48:03 mins                          45:56 mins            02:07 mins

Heh.  Just goes to show you.... the weather false prophets said yesterday would be a mild day with little wind...  I guess everything is relative.  The ride back to the car from work was a struggle UNTIL I turned south after going through Balloon Fiesta Park, whereupon the awful wind turned into a rather nice TAILwind.
Lots of wind going through Tijeras Canyon, but that's just like Provo Canyon where the wind kinda funnels through at high speed almost all the time.

Beginning BG:  155                              Post-Ride BG: 64
Evening Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles:  7.45
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
09.8  Mph                          10.5 mph             21.0 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
45:50 mins                          42:33 mins            03:17 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment